Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple scripting question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple scripting question Post 9135 by gennaro on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 08:59:44 AM
Old 10-23-2001
simple scripting question

I am new to scropting and I am just trying to work on a few simple things....
Using sh I want to do something similar to the follwoing run a simple command like a dig then I want it to get the server that it is authorotative and return it to me saying somehting like xx.xx is authorotative. I am not getting how to make it check the results and return a specific part to me how do I make it check the results it recieved and return a specific part of the results to me does this make sense? Is it possible. This is only an example of somethign I am trying to do I understand how to make it so that if a particualr event is true then do this but I dont understand how to make it check to see if that particualr even is present does this make sense let me know.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple scripting actions

Hi, I am a beginner in unix shell scripting. I wanted simple information like 1- How to know what are the number of command line options given for the script file? 2- How to check if a variable value is interger or string? 3- How to use awk to replace value of a variable For example I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP me PLS... Simple Scripting!

this is my script.... SQL> select * from dba_profiles 2 where resource_name in ('FAILED_LOGIN_ATTEMPTS','PASSWORD_LOCK_TIME') 3 order by profile; and this is the output... PROFILE RESOURCE_NAME RESOURCE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liezer
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple argument in scripting question

I tried to do a search, but it couldnt pinpoint what my answer since using limited but broad keywords. Sorry in advance ; ; Im limited to using Bourne shell scripting only, atm I have the following code (just the heading part of it) ... ... # VARIABLE DECLARATION # ==================== ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Scripting Problem

Hi there, I was trying to add a line of text in the middle line of a file. I have counted the lines in the file, and then I divide it into 2, after that I am stuck on how am I suppose to append the line on that file? When I tried to use this command 'second line >> filename' it appends it at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with simple korn scripting

Hi, The logic is very simple but I can't seem to make this work in Korn shell. I need to check two files to make sure there is no errors. Each of the file will have number. For example, first file btt.txt will have 112 which is good. Second file bgg.txt will have 6 which is also good. If I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with scripting a simple menu

Hi there. I'm trying to teach myself UNIX but the book I bought is a bit confusing. I'm trying out this exercise and I think I'm on the right track, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve what I have so far. Also, I'm not clear on how to use the read command to utilize the user's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jsmith
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple scripting.

echo "what is your username?" read username echo $username echo /home/$username $backup="backup" $restore="restore" # # if then echo "No username provided" else echo "hi $username would you like to backup or restore?" read userrequest echo $userrequest if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help :: Simple Shell Scripting

Hello, I want to find the "IP-OF-SERVER" in /etc/squid/squid.conf And replace it with The IP of server. I know this command returns the IP of server : ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' And I can replace with sed. : sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghadamyari
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
scsi_arq_status(9S)					    Data Structures for Drivers 				       scsi_arq_status(9S)

NAME
scsi_arq_status - SCSI auto request sense structure SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) DESCRIPTION
When auto request sense has been enabled using scsi_ifsetcap(9F) and the "auto-rqsense" capability, the target driver must allocate a sta- tus area in the SCSI packet structure for the auto request sense structure (see scsi_pkt(9S)). In the event of a check condition, the transport layer automatically executes a request sense command. This check ensures that the request sense information does not get lost. The auto request sense structure supplies the SCSI status of the original command, the transport information pertaining to the request sense command, and the request sense data. STRUCTURE MEMBERS
struct scsi_status sts_status; /* SCSI status */ struct scsi_status sts_rqpkt_status; /* SCSI status of request sense cmd */ uchar_t sts_rqpkt_reason; /* reason completion */ uchar_t sts_rqpkt_resid; /* residue */ uint_t sts_rqpkt_state; /* state of command */ uint_t sts_rqpkt_statistics; /* statistics */ struct scsi_extended_sense sts_sensedata; /* actual sense data */ sts_status is the SCSI status of the original command. If the status indicates a check condition, the transport layer might have performed an auto request sense command. sts_rqpkt_status is the SCSI status of the request sense command. sts_rqpkt_reason is the completion reason of the request sense command. If the reason is not CMD_CMPLT, then the request sense command did not complete normally. sts_rqpkt_resid is the residual count of the data transfer and indicates the number of data bytes that have not been transferred. The auto request sense command requests SENSE_LENGTH bytes. sts_rqpkt_state has bit positions representing the five most important statuses that a SCSI command can go obtain. sts_rqpkt_statistics maintains transport-related statistics of the request sense command. sts_sensedata contains the actual sense data if the request sense command completed normally. SEE ALSO
scsi_ifgetcap(9F), scsi_init_pkt(9F), scsi_extended_sense(9S), scsi_pkt(9S) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 30 Sep 1996 scsi_arq_status(9S)