Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mailx error message : mailx: NUL changed to @ Post 91309 by BOFH on Thursday 1st of December 2005 12:29:47 AM
Old 12-01-2005
Since I can't type in a simple question:

Which os?

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

email attachment, with a message using mailx

Hi, I am trying to include a message along with an attachment with an email using mailx on AIX. uuencode Test.dat Test.dat| mailx -s 'Testing' mymail@yahoo.com < MESGFILE This only gives me the contents of MESGFILE as my message. If I remove the < FILE I recieve the attachment. What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edog
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while sending message and attachment with mailx

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail with an attachment and message. Following command I am using. (cat <messagefile> ; uuencode <attachmentfile> <attachmentfile>)|mailx -s"Subject" dave@email.com In the received mail, message body is appearing fine. But attachment is not coming. Rather... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nihar.dutta
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx error message -- "me": not a group

Hi all, When I tried to use mailx like mailx -s "test" someone@somedomain.com < myfile , mailx replies with "me": not a group. Mail did get sent though. So how to deal with this "me": not a group response. I guess it is because some property was not set properly. Because mailx worked well... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to receive message in 2 lines using mailx command

Hi, I have a file with 2 records in two lines. While mailing these two records using mailx command, those two records coming in a single line. I have used the following command to send those records via mail. cat filename | mailx -s "subject" mailaddress I want the two records in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_886
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx: How to send a attachment using mailx command

Hi All, Can anyone please provide the command for sending an mail with attachment using mailx command. Thanks in Advance :) Regards, Siram. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailx empty body message

Hi, Is there a way to suppress this message? Null message body; hope that's ok My email string is: mailx -s "This is my subject" myemail@domain.com < /dev/null It's just an annoyance to me that I would like see go away. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Message success/faliure delivery notification - mailx

Guys, Is it possible to get a delivery status message like success/faliure notification after sending a mail using mailx. -v option can be used to get the message failure notification if any.. is there any option to get the message success notification? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoharg
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent: Not able to send the html formatted message from mailx

<html> <body style=background-color:AliceBlue> <p>Hi,<pre>please check the connectivity status of the server. <pre> And find the server log file for more details. </p> <h1><font size="4">SERVER <font color="red">111.111.11.1</font> IS NOT AVAILABLE IN ONLINE</font></h1> <font color="red"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx with attachment and message body

i have to attach the 'body in the email' along with attachment below code is throwing errors, how can i do it ? here body file contains message, it should display in email, please help i am using HP-UX (cat body ;) (uuencode attch1 attch1 ;) | mailx -m -s "testing" "abc@gmail.com" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Mailx message not delivering externally

I have recently all of a sudden stopped receiving my cronjob messages that were being sent with the mailx command. I have not made any changes and it is affecting all my servers at this site only (all running Solaris 10). At my other site I am running a mixture of Solaris 10 and Ubuntu 14, and they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madrox72
2 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - Formats mail messages prior to sending SYNOPSIS
fmt [-width] file... DESCRIPTION
The fmt command reads the input file or files, or standard input if no files are specified, and writes to standard output a version of the input with lines of a length as close as possible to width columns. (Because fmt is internationalized software, the number of display col- umns is not necessarily equivalent to the number of bytes.) The fmt command both joins and splits lines to achieve the desired width, but words are never joined or split; spaces are always preserved, and lines are split at spaces only. In effect, fmt ignores newline characters in the input and wraps words to make lines a close as possi- ble to width columns, resulting in individual lines of varying length but a consistent (new) text width overall. Because blank lines are always preserved, fmt does not merge paragraphs separated by blank lines. If you specify more than one file, the files are concatenated as input to fmt. If you do not specify -width, the default line length is 72 columns. Spacing at the beginning of input lines is always preserved in the output. The fmt command is generally used to format mail messages to improve their appearance before they are sent. It may also be useful, how- ever, for other simple formatting tasks. For example, when you are using vi, you can use the command :%!fmt -60 to reformat your text so that all lines are approximately 60 columns long. NOTES
The fmt command is a fast, simple formatting program. Standard text editing programs are more appropriate than fmt for complex formatting operations. Do not use the fmt command if the message contains embedded messages or preformatted information from other files. This com- mand formats the heading information in embedded messages and may change the format of preformatted information. EXAMPLES
file1 contains these lines: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To reformat this text to a narrower width, enter: fmt -30 file1 This results in the following, displayed on your screen: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To make file1 wider, enter: fmt -60 file1 This results in: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To format a message you have created with the mailx editor, at the left margin enter: ~|fmt After you enter the command, your message is formatted, in this case to the default line length of 72 columns, and the word continue is displayed to indicate that you can enter more information or send your message. SEE ALSO
Commands: mail(1), mailx(1), vi(1) fmt(1)