Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Connecting to time server
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connecting to time server Post 91263 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 30th of November 2005 01:30:08 PM
Old 11-30-2005
telnet doesn't support the ntp protocol, AFAIK.

You need ntpd which is a freebie -
http://www.pool.ntp.org/

Read the how to use page first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Connecting to an Exchange Server

Hi, I have installed Redhat 7.3 on my desktop at work and was wondering whether I can set up my mail in KDE(Kmail, Mozilla Mail etc) to connect to a microsoft exchange server. Thanks for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: camerja1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to SUN server from PC

I have old SUN server on my desk. I know it worked before. I want to be able to connect to server from my PC. Just to establish a dump terminal. 1. I connected to power socket 2. I Have a cable that fits in (i believe is a com ports there are A B slots the same I plugged it in A). They are... (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
33 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

connecting my server to comcast

Hi, I just setup a server running centos 4 that I am going to use for a mail server. I setup NAT in my router to open up the smtp port and i assigned the server a static ip address using ifconfig. Now is there a step im missing because now i cant route out of the server or ping anything? Oh btw... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to UNIX server

Hi, My knowledge bucket of UNIX is almost empty. I have developed an application in EXCEL which can create XML files (Metadata) from Binaries. These binaries are stored in UNIX server on regular intervals. Currently I am transferring all binaries(GBs of files) to WINDOWS using WINSCP and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobs
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting other server using ssh!

Hi All, Here i am having a problem in my script....:) i have one script which will connect from my linux box to antoher linux box.. let say...currently i am in 55.23.621.123 and i want to connect to another box which is 55.23.621.118 as we know we can connect using ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Connecting to a remote server

Hi, I have an interesting problem. I cannot connect to a personal server I set up. What's interesting is that I can connect to it from the LAN using its non-local IP address. However, I cannot seem to connect to it from anywhere else. Here's how my server is set up: My entire home has a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Altay_H
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to other server thru ftp

Hi, Can someone help me on how to ftp to UNIX server from an another UNIX Server. I tried the follwoing but it is not working. ftp -n 10.10.0.1 quote user usrname quote pass passwd ls Though ftp is starting it is not allowing me run command..... it is asking to Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Windows Server

Hi, One of the folders in UNIX is mapped with a drive on Windows.From this UNIX machine I want to connect to the Windows Server, perform some checks and view the results back on the UNIX machine. For e.g. if I touch a file under the shared folder on UNIX, I should be able to telnet to Windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does SSH store the fingerprints of remote host when connecting for the first time?

I was wondering why does ssh store the fingerprints of remote host when connecting for the first time? I will appreciate a detailed response, can't figure it out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChiefGandalf
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus not connecting the 2nd time in for loop

Hi, I am trying to get the rows(First step is to get the poolid's and then second step run a loop to get the output based on each pool id and third connection is to get the member id and pool id based on a different condition) where based of certain conditions and storing it in a file. I wrote the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies
ntp.keys(5)							   File Formats 						       ntp.keys(5)

NAME
ntp.keys - NTP symmetric key file format configuration file SYNOPSIS
[--option-name] [--option-name value] All arguments must be options. DESCRIPTION
This document describes the format of an NTP symmetric key file. For a description of the use of this type of file, see the "Authentica- tion Support" section of the ntp.conf(5) page. ntpd(8) reads its keys from a file specified using the -k command line option or the keys statement in the configuration file. While key number 0 is fixed by the NTP standard (as 56 zero bits) and may not be changed, one or more keys numbered between 1 and 65535 may be arbi- trarily set in the keys file. The key file uses the same comment conventions as the configuration file. Key entries use a fixed format of the form keyno type key opt_IP_list where keyno is a positive integer (between 1 and 65535), type is the message digest algorithm, key is the key itself, and opt_IP_list is an optional comma-separated list of IPs where the keyno should be trusted. that are allowed to serve time. Each IP in opt_IP_list may con- tain an optional /subnetbits specification which identifies the number of bits for the desired subnet of trust. If opt_IP_list is empty, any properly-authenticated message will be accepted. The key may be given in a format controlled by the type field. The type MD5 is always supported. If ntpd was built with the OpenSSL library then any digest library supported by that library may be specified. However, if compliance with FIPS 140-2 is required the type must be either SHA or SHA1. What follows are some key types, and corresponding formats: MD5 The key is 1 to 16 printable characters terminated by an EOL, whitespace, or a # (which is the "start of comment" character). SHA SHA1 RMD160 The key is a hex-encoded ASCII string of 40 characters, which is truncated as necessary. Note that the keys used by the ntpq(8) and ntpdc(8) programs are checked against passwords requested by the programs and entered by hand, so it is generally appropriate to specify these keys in ASCII format. FILES
/etc/ntp.keys the default name of the configuration file SEE ALSO
ntp.conf(5), ntpd(1), ntpdate(1), ntpdc(1), sntp(1) AUTHORS
The University of Delaware and Network Time Foundation COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1992-2017 The University of Delaware and Network Time Foundation all rights reserved. This program is released under the terms of the NTP license, <http://ntp.org/license>. BUGS
Please send bug reports to: http://bugs.ntp.org, bugs@ntp.org NOTES
This document was derived from FreeBSD. This manual page was AutoGen-erated from the ntp.keys option definitions. 4.2.8p13 20 Feb 2019 ntp.keys(5)