Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting any explanation for thsi shell script behaviour Post 9118 by LivinFree on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 04:32:56 AM
Old 10-23-2001
Try using the full path to the startx script... the . ./script will work because your path is set up, but ./script or sh script may not if it's not in the default path...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation for a script

Guys, was wondering what the meaning of the below bit is ? awk -F ' ' '{print $1 " " $2 ;}' $TEMPFILE | (rm -f $TEMPFILE; sed 's/$/ '"$box"'/g' > $TEMPFILE) Can anyone explain this in detail? what is the significance of rm -f $TEMPFILE here? What all IO/buffering happens here ?How the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hashin_p
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces behaviour in shell

Hello, I am a bit puzzled by the way my shell treats spaces in filenames. An example will be way clearer than any explanation I can make: $ ls test\ file\ with\ spaces test file with spaces $ var="test\ file\ with\ spaces" $ echo $var test\ file\ with\ spaces $ ls $var ls: cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDelroen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for interesting sed behaviour?

This is my first post so hi to you all. I have browsed these forums in the past and what a great community and resource this is! Thanks to all the contributors ... I look forward to being able to give something back. In the meantime, I have a little conundrum concerning sed. My very simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gavster
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell: reconcile language and sort behaviour

Hi Don't know if this is a dummy question, but let's give it a try. I yesterday had a problem with undefined behaviour in the sort shell command (I'm using bash), leading to different sort orders without apparent reasons. I resolved this by typing export LC_ALL="C" export LC_COLLATE="C"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Explanation

Hello, I have seen this script on this site. I understand most of it. However I am a bit stuck on the part in red. It appears to be expanding for file in *.zip do zipdir=${file%.*} mkdir $zipdir || echo "unable to create $zipdir" cp $file $zipdir || echo "unable to copy $file"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need an explanation on this script...

The following script will create a directory in a directory and will go on as many times as the number you will give in. I am trying to find out how it works ... can someone please help me with that? #!/bin/sh #create a variable and set it to 1 n=1 #start a loop as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Explanation of script

Hello Guys, can someone help explain the script below for me? I will really appreciate it. vi db_script #!/bin/sh echo .cron job run on.`date`> cronjob.txt df -h >> cronjob.txt echo welcome to home (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell behaviour in AIX

Hi, Consider the code snippet below: fun() { while read x do echo $x done < somefile_that_does_not_exists } fun echo I am here Korn shell on HPUX prints the message "I am here", while the behaviour is different on AIX korn shell. We do not get the message on AIX. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 116@434
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does this shell script do? Need in depth explanation please

Hi My friend wrote this particular script and won't tell me what it does, and when I run it I don't understand it. What does the entire script do with specifics please. Thanks Bob #!/bin/bash current=0 while ; do if ; then echo ${current} current=$((${current}+1)) fi done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadowknight777
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script explanation

Hey, can someone explain me this script? i=0 while read WORT do echo $WORT|grep a>/dev/null || echo$WORT|grep B>dev/null || let i=$i+1 done echo $i The first lane initializie the variable i with the value of 0. The loop line has 3 different options because of ||. The only option I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser21
10 Replies
SETMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						SETMODE(3)

NAME
getmode, setmode -- modify mode bits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> void * setmode(const char *mode_str); mode_t getmode(const void *set, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
The setmode() function accepts a string representation of a file mode change, compiles it to binary form, and returns an abstract representa- tion that may be passed to getmode(). The string may be an numeric (octal) or symbolic string of the form accepted by chmod(1), and may rep- resent either an exact mode to set or a change to make to the existing mode. The getmode() function adjusts the file permission bits given by mode according to the compiled change representation set, and returns the adjusted mode. While only the permission bits are altered, other parts of the file mode, particularly the type, may be examined. Because some of the possible symbolic values are defined relative to the file creation mask, setmode() may call umask(2), temporarily chang- ing the mask. If this occurs, the file creation mask will be restored before setmode() returns. If the calling program changes the value of its file creation mask after calling setmode(), setmode() must be called again to recompile the mode string if getmode() is to modify future file modes correctly. If the mode passed to setmode() is invalid, setmode() returns NULL. EXAMPLES
The effects of the shell command 'chmod a+x myscript.sh' can be duplicated as follows: const char *file = "myscript.sh"; struct stat st; mode_t newmode; stat(file, &st); newmode = getmode(setmode("a+x"), st.st_mode); chmod(file, newmode); ERRORS
The setmode() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library routines malloc(3) or strtol(3). In addition, setmode() will fail and set errno to: [EINVAL] The mode argument does not represent a valid mode. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), stat(2), umask(2), malloc(3) HISTORY
The getmode() and setmode() functions first appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
Each call to setmode allocates a small amount of memory that there is no correct way to free. The type of set should really be some opaque struct type used only by these functions rather than void *. BSD
January 4, 2009 BSD