Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help setting PS1 prompt to include current time Post 90909 by Ygor on Monday 28th of November 2005 08:23:33 PM
Old 11-28-2005
Try quoting the whole string: export PS1='$(date -u +%R) ${ME}:${PWD}# '

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 with date stamp included in prompt

How would I put the date within my PS1 command for my shell prompt? I have it set to: PS1='$>' I tried PS1='$>' but that didn't work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

colors in Prompt - $PS1

would someone please explain in detail, how does the code below change the color or bash prompt $ echo $PS1 :\033 are there other tricks like above? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 prompt

please advise what's wrong with this command ? PS1="`hostname`:`who am i | cut -d " " -f1`:>>" trying to make the PS1 prompt look like : machine_name:username:>> thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a Prompt (PS1) Timestamp under /sbin/sh?

Hi, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to get a timestamp on my Solaris root shell prompt using /sbin/sh? I'm trying to archive something in line with the following: 12:34:26 root@server # 12:34:28 root@server # 12:34:28 root@server # ls ... 12:34:30 root@server # I know there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solarius
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting PS1

I have set PSI for my prompt using the following command: PS1="${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\\u@\h:\\\w\a]\ "which produces chrisd@pguk:~]I want to include [ in the beginning but cannot understand the way to do this. Also I want to show only the current directory, not the whole... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change / Setup bash custom prompt (PS1)

I am trying to create my custom prompt and I have almost succeeded. Right now I have PS1='\n\\$\ ' What I have not figured out is how to make the directories bold when I'm using commands ls or ls -la. Any idea how to do it??? Many thanx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emailkia
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display current time in the prompt

Hello All, I would like to display the current time in prompt. I tried using following command: export PS1="$(date +%k:%M:%S) $ " but it gave me a fixed time in prompt whereas my objective is to get the current time everytime. $ export PS1="$(date +%k:%M:%S) $ " 17:42:42 $ 17:42:42 $... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
32 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is my PS1 breaking my prompt?

So, this is strange... I created this prompt: PS1='\n\e You can see that it's a pretty minor modification of the default Debian prompt. And, if it matters, I'm using Putty to SSH to my server. The following strange symptoms appear when I use that prompt, and disappear when I change and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to revert default prompt in Linux after setting PS1 command

I have given as: PS1="Karthick>" in linux. Now the prompt changed as: Karthick> Now I need to get back the default prompt . How to achieve this? Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
13 Replies

10. Solaris

Help changing the PS1 prompt in Solaris

Hi, I need help changing PS1 in Solaris. I tried this: MYPROMPT="> " PS1=$LOGNAME@$HOSTNAME:${PWD}$MYPROMPT (NOT SURE WHY IT'S HIGHLIGHTED HERE) export PS1 My problem is that $PWD is not working, when I get the prompt and I change directories, the prompt is not displaying the current... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiousmal
17 Replies
PWD(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            PWD(1)

NAME
pwd - print name of current/working directory SYNOPSIS
pwd [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Print the full filename of the current working directory. -L, --logical use PWD from environment, even if it contains symlinks -P, --physical avoid all symlinks --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If no option is specified, -P is assumed. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of pwd, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report pwd translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
getcwd(3) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/pwd> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) pwd invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 PWD(1)