Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ok simple question for simple knowledge... Post 90833 by Corrail on Monday 28th of November 2005 09:23:51 AM
Old 11-28-2005
Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simple Question

Friends, I did following exercise $ echo '' > test $ od -b test $ echo "">test $ od -b test $echo > test $od -b test Every time I got the following output 0000000 012 0000001 But 012 is octal value for new line character . Even though there is no apperent new line character... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Hi All, I am new to UNIX Shell Scripting. I want to know what is the difference between the following two statements. if and if Thanks & Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvkamesh
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question.

Is it possible to establish an IF statement inside a case statement in a shell file ? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
2 Replies

5. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ls question

i am doing ls -la in the out put , first line is as total 41621 What is this total? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

Hi, Please don't berate me over the simplicity of these questions. I have recently gotten into bash shell scripting and enjoy it quite a bit. One thing I have not found the answer to though is when naming a shell script, what extension is normally used (ie myscript.?)? Also where is the standard... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
OPENDEV(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						OPENDEV(3)

NAME
opendev -- short form device open routine SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> int opendev(char *path, int oflags, int dflags, char **realpath); DESCRIPTION
The opendev() function opens a device using the ``short form'' name. This is typically ``disk0s3'', for instance, which will be expanded to /dev/rdisk0s3 on most architectures. Device name lookup is done by first checking path for a ``/'' and if one is found attempting to open that file. Otherwise /dev is searched for a matching device. The oflags are the same as the flags passed to open(2). The dflags are specified by OR'ing the following values: OPENDEV_PART attempt to open the raw partition during expansion OPENDEV_BLCK open the block device (default is character device) The ``raw'' partition is defined as the partition which provides access to the entire disk, regardless of the disk's partition map. If realpath is not NULL, it is modified to point at the fully expanded device name. RETURN VALUES
The opendev() return value and errors are the same as the return value and errors of open(2). WARNINGS
If realpath is not NULL, on return it will point to internal static storage space that will be overwritten by subsequent calls. SEE ALSO
open(2) HISTORY
The opendev() function first appeared in OpenBSD 1.2. BSD
December 12, 2002 BSD