Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting creating a menu for recycling and permanently deleting files. Post 90784 by Just Ice on Sunday 27th of November 2005 06:29:18 PM
Old 11-27-2005
seems to me your command line is not getting the argument list correctly ... create a small script that does what you want and then alias rm with the script name ... make sure you don't call the script rm also ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating menu list from configuration file

Hi folks, I have the following function ,which generates menu for installation type: select_install_type() { echo echo ======================================== echo Please select the type of installation: echo ======================================== ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to permanently modify the open files

hi all, any ideas how we can permanently modify the open files? bash-2.03$ ulimit -a core file size (blocks) 0 data seg size (kbytes) unlimited file size (blocks) unlimited open files 256 <--------------- pipe size (512 bytes) 10 stack size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a menu within a script file

I am very new to Unix and know the basic commands. I have to write a script file and I'm completely lost. The script file is to show the following at the beginning: Menu of Options 1. Display all files in a user's home directory. 2. Welcome yourself to the program. 3. Display System... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinjin
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a menu from find

Hi I am wanting to create a menu that will list all the log files in a specific directory such as /apps/logs. So it would be something like this: #!/bin/ksh print 'Select The Required Log File' PS3='log? ' select choice in <this is to contain a list of files that are in a directory that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markrj
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a menu

Hi, I need your help co create a very small menu somthing that look like this: 1. first step 2. second step 3. last step from step : ___ to step : ___ If the user choose 1 --> it will echo : Hellow If the user choose 2 --> it will echo : World If the user choose 3 --> it will echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Module for log recycling

hi......... can anyone suggest me how n where can i find the module used for recycling logs in Unix(some .so file is used i suppose).till date i have done it with scripting but maintaining the script is becoming difficult. many2 thanx in advance -manuj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manuj upadhyay
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX PID Recycling

Had a bizzare problem last night with one of our tools running on an AIX server that has not come up before. The tool has been in use for over a year without this problem showing up.The tool basically does this: -Kick off a background task and record the PIDGo and do a bunch of other taskswait for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

8. Web Development

Help me in automating the recycling of UNIX server

Hello everyone...I am very new to UNIX hence needs your help in below. i have written a script to change some configuration in property files and its working fine.but to reflect that change at the application i want to recycle WAS and ihs.i.e. run below start and stop commands at /usr/local/bin ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanaa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help creating a menu.

Hi Master of masters, Thanks for ur reply. Need ur help for following. Is it possible to create menu for following in linux or a function. > Look in logs > Status > Action > End Action > CONFSUCCESS > Success > Show message as successful > Enter to continue > CONFFAIL > Failure > Show... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash script to process a data file based on the menu

Hey, im fairly new to unix and Im trying to make this unix project that would display a menu and do the following. MENU =========================== (p, P) Print users info (a, A) Add new user (s, S) Search user (d, D) Delete user (x,X) Exit Enter your choice: Trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimaxtrd
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD