Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nohup in cron job
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nohup in cron job Post 90384 by papachi_2000 on Tuesday 22nd of November 2005 08:56:59 AM
Old 11-22-2005
I used nohup because like mike mentioned I don't want the job to exit when I log out. If Cron has no terminal associated with it, So that means I don't have to use nohup?
But I want all shell scripts to execute background. If I don't use '&' would they run in back ground? I don't want them to wait for other shell to execute. So to achieve my requirement what should I do? And abhijeet I did used '. .profile' still it won't work.

Thanks to all,
Papachi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup in cron

Hello Gurus, I have written two simple shell scripts which i want to run daily via cronjob. One of the scripts contains "nohup" ,which is not getting executed when i run via cron. Why does "nohup" is not working via cron? Both the scripts work well when i run them manually.I have tested... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
6 Replies

2. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stoped job using ctrl+z now want to run in nohup

once i have stoped process by ctrl+z then i want to run it again in nohup plz help me out. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
6 Replies

4. Solaris

nohup in cron erntry

Hi , can one makes nohup inside the crontab entry? Inside a perl script also ? Regards Megh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't cancel nohup job

Yesterday I started a nohup job called assoc.sh. It has not finished running, but I have realised a problem with my script, so wish to cancel it, modify and restart it. However, I cannot find the PID, so can't cancel it. I have searched the ps list and nothing resembles my job - how can I cancel... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
13 Replies

6. AIX

Backgroup job using nohup

Hi, I ran a program like following sample.sh & Later I realized that this job will take more hours to complete. Since it consumed 2 hours dat aprocessing and I don't want to terminate and then start the job like nohup sample.sh & Can you please tell me, is it possible to make this job no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup - sub job in script not executing until I exit

My job is launched using this command: I'm at home and having VPN drops so I used nohup and background. nohup perf_mon -c rating_4_multi,cfg & The main script is PID 26119, and the sub task under it is 26118 which is not running - just sits there. 26119 runs forever but nothing else runs. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
NOHUP(1)							   User Commands							  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)