Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers stripping last character from end of each line Post 90333 by tom_k_mishra on Monday 21st of November 2005 07:35:35 PM
Old 11-21-2005
you may use the sed to work it out.here is an example.

echo "which is"|sed -e 's/[a-z]$//g'

this will take out the last character.

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

End of line character in BAsh

I'm trying to match the end of line character in a shell script under bash. What I have done it got is a loop that reads each line of a file into a temp variable and then I get each letter of that variable and do some work on it. One think I want to do it check if the character I checking if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rukshan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

end of the line character

How do i determine what the end of the line character is in a text file. for eg. is it \n or \f or \t etc.. Is there a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomboo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting end of line $ character in file

Hi, I've got a file where in the middle of the record is a $ end of line character, visible only when I open the file in vi and do :set list. How to I get rid of the character in the middle and keep it at the end. The middle $ character always appears after SW, so that can be used to tag it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add new line character at the end of a file

hi all, i have this question: How to add new line character at the end of a file???? i need this because i am loading a file to sybase and i have problems with the last record thanks for your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a character at end of each line of a file

Hi, i want to append a character '|' at end of each line of a file abc.txt. for example if the file abc.txt conatins: a|b|c 1|2|33 w|2|11 i want result file xyz.txt a|b|c| 1|2|33| w|2|11| I know this is simple but sumhow i am not able to reach end of line. its urgent, thanks for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Junk Character appended at the end of a line

Hi All I have a rather unusual problem, which i have not faced till now. I have a script which exports some paths to a text file. The script runs fine but when i check the output file i can see some junk characters ^M appended at end of lines and random places. I am not able to figure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping double quotes from front and end of a line

I have a file and some records may contain double quotes at beginning and at end of line. So how do I strip them? For Example, file is somethings like this Field1;Field2;Field3 01;'Test';'Test Field3' "01;'This is 2nd field';This is 3rd field' " Desired Output is: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding end of line character in the last record

Need to add end of line character to last record in a fixed width file. When i take the record length of each line, for all the records it gives example like 200 except the last line as 199. Due to this my other script fails. Please help me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a character at end of line?

Hai, I have got a small requirement in my script. and i am using bash shell. I need to add a dot (.) for some particular line in a file. Say for example, $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2 3 This is line3 O/p should be : $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2. #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivajee
2 Replies
CH_LAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CH_LAB(1)

NAME
ch_lab -- change/copy label files SYNOPSIS
ch_lab [-S frame spacing] [-start time] [-end time] [-ext file extension] [-extract file] [-extend time] [-f sample frequency] [-lf sample frequency] [-itype file type] [-key key file] [-lablist list of labels] [-length time] [-map map file] [-name feature name] [-class class] [-o output file] [-otype file type] [-pad high | low] [-pos list of labels] [-q timestep] [-range range] [-sed sed file] [fl shift time delta] [-style output stype] [-vocab vocab file] [-verify] [-nopath] [-base] [-combine] [-divide] [-h] input files ... DESCRIPTION
ch_lab copies from one or more input label files to an output label file, optionally performing various operations along the way. The following option flags are recognized: -h Print a summary of usage to standard output. -S frame spacing frame spacing of output -start time start time, in seconds, for label extraction -end time end time, in seconds, for label extraction -ext file extension filename extension to use for multiple output files -extract file extract a single file from a list of files -extend time extend track file by time seconds beyond label file -f sample frequency sample frequency of label file -lf sample frequency sample frequency for labels -itype file type type of input label file: esps htk ogi -key key file key label file -lablist list list of labels to be considered as blank -length time length of track produced, in seconds -map map file label mapping file -name feature name eg. Fo Phoneme -class class name of class defined in op file -o output file output file name -otype file type output file type: xmg, ascii, esps, htk -pad high | low pad with high or low values -pos list list of labels to be regarded as 'pos' -q timestep quantize label timings to nearst value -range range difference between high and low values -sed sed file perform regex editing using sed file fl shift time delta shift the times of the labels -style output style output style e.g. track -vocab file file containing list of words in vocabulary -verify check that only labels in vocab file are in label file -nopath ignore pathnames when searching label lists -base use base filenames for lists of label files -combine -divide SEE ALSO
ch_wave(1) ch_track(1) Edinburgh Speech Tools April 5, 2001 Edinburgh Speech Tools