Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Database Migration
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Database Migration Post 90282 by jim mcnamara on Monday 21st of November 2005 10:08:44 AM
Old 11-21-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
1) Do all the applications written in 4GL have to be necessarily re-written in Pro *C/C++? Is there any other alternatives possible for that?
You can use PL/SQL for procedures and small reports, and ORACLE FORMS for user interface development. Pro*C, Pro*FORTRAN Pro*COBOL are meant for
development of major apps that do a lot of processing and possibly interact with the unix file system. PL/SQL does not do file I/O very well. It has limitations.

PL/SQL is the trigger language.

Quote:
2) Are there any migration tools avaialable with respect to rewriting applications from 4GL to Pro *C/C++ ?
www.orafaq.org mentions some things about foriegn 4GL's.
I don't know if any of it applies to Informix, because I've worked only with Oracle for 20 years. You can search that site.

Quote:
3) And above all the risks and feasibility of such kind of a task?
You need to do some serious upfront reading. There are some kinds of SQL constructs and dynamic calls that kill Oracle but are common in a lot of apps.

Simple examples of things that may be misused in PL/SQL or SQL in ORACLE:

EXEC IMMEDIATE - creates a dynamic query which looks attractive but for large multiuser systems will eat up resources and reduce throughput. It may chew up caching, for example.

SELECT ... FOR UPDATE can lock an entire table of millions of rows if misused.
I've seen apps that do this, then ask for user input. When the user goes to lunch at this point without pushing the return key, the entire db grinds to a halt as other people need to access that table.

It's a huge book, but will save you endless grief:

Tom Kite 'Expert one on One ORACLE'

There is a version of this book for 8i and 9i. I think he's got a 10g version out, but go here where TOm Kite answers questions, he often lets you know about books out there, you may want to ask him/or search his site to see if there are any resources for porting from Informix - porting is a main part of his expertise:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migration

Is it possible to migrate a UNIX program and use it in a NetWare or Windows 2000 network? I have a client that must have one of those two operating systems for the new program that they want. However, they've been using an older UNIX program for about 7 years and they want to be able to refer to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: refram
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migration

hi, is there any tool that i can use to update my scripts (SH scripts) form Unix to linux. please mention any useful websites. thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

AS/U -> samba migration

Hi, I'm having some trouble finding a suitable howto for a migration process from asu to samba (both running on hpux). Does any kind of automated migration scripts exist? And if not: how to do that from hand? I did several researches at the company's knowledge base and on the internet but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank_S
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration

Hi all, Would appreciate advise on my situation. Currently server A is in production. Server A takes in data from Server X, does some processing and send to server Y. We are going to develop a different system in server B, something like an enhanced version of A. Server A will be retired once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris system and database migration help

HI, let me explain you the current situation. We have three server with OS Solaris and oracle products. Following is the somewhat detail, 1st Server= oracle DB 2nd Server= Oracle Warehouse builder 3rd Server= Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Manager Question: these three... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

6. Solaris

redirect solaris database from linux database..

hi.. i have a need .. my php runs on my linux redhat box with mysql.. i want my php code to refer another mysql database which is in solaris 10 x86... can u tell me the procedure .. how it can be done through php .. sorry am new to php... is it possible to redirect from linux mysql to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't create database after Oracle Database installation

I installed Oracle 10 software on Solaris 11 Express, everything was fine execpt I can't create database using dbca.rsp file. I populated file with following options. OPERATION_TYPE = "createDatabase" GDBNAME = "solaris_user.domain.com" SID = "solaris_user" TEMPLATENAME = "General... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON Job to copy database and replace existing database

I have a reseller account with hostgator, which means i have WHM and Cpanel. I have set up a staging environment for one of my wordpress installations (client website), which is essentially sitting at staging.domain.com (live site is at domain.com). The staging website is a complete copy of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nzrobert
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies
Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)

NAME
Data::Phrasebook::SQL - The SQL/DBI Phrasebook Model. SYNOPSIS
use Data::Phrasebook; use DBI; my $dbh = DBI->connect(...); my $book = Data::Phrasebook->new( class => 'SQL', dbh => $dbh, file => 'queries.txt', ); my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => "Lance Parkin" }); while ( my $row = $q->fetchrow_hashref ) { print "He wrote $row->{title} "; } $q->finish; queries.txt: find_author=select title,author from books where author = :author DESCRIPTION
In order to make use of features like placeholders in DBI in conjunction with phrasebooks, it's helpful to have a phrasebook be somewhat more aware of how DBI operates. Thus, you get "Data::Phrasebook::SQL". "Data::Phrasebook::SQL" has knowledge of how DBI works and creates and executes your queries appropriately. CONSTRUCTOR
new Not to be accessed directly, but via the parent Data::Phrasebook, by specifying the class as SQL. Additional arguments to those described in Data::Phrasebook::Generic are: o "dbh" - a DBI database handle. METHODS
dbh Set, or get, the current DBI handle. query Constructs a Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query object from a template. Takes at least one argument, this being the identifier for the query. The identifier is used as a key into the phrasebook "file". A second argument can be provided, which is an optional hashref of key to value mappings. If phrasebook has a YAML source looking much like the following: --- find_author: sql: select class,title,author from books where author = :author You could write: my $q = $book->query( 'find_author' ); OR my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => 'Lance Parkin' } ); OR my $author = 'Lance Parkin'; my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => $author, } ); # sql = select class,title,author from books where author = ? # args = 'Lance Parkin' In the above examples, the parameters are bound to the SQL using the bind parameters functionality. This is more efficient in most cases where the same SQL is reused with different values for fields. However, not all SQL statements just need to bind parameters, some may require the ability to replace parameters, such as a field list. --- find_author: sql: select :fields from books where author = :author my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', replace => { fields => 'class,title,author' }, bind => { author => 'Lance Parkin' } ); # sql = select class,title,author from books where author = ? # args = 'Lance Parkin' In all instances, if the SQL template requested does not exist or has no definition, then an error will be thrown. Consult Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query for what you can then do with your returned object. For reference: the bind hashref argument, if it is given, is given to the query object's "order_args" and then "args" methods. SEE ALSO
Data::Phrasebook, Data::Phrasebook::Generic, Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query. SUPPORT
Please see the README file. AUTHOR
Original author: Iain Campbell Truskett (16.07.1979 - 29.12.2003) Maintainer: Barbie <barbie@cpan.org> since January 2004. for Miss Barbell Productions <http://www.missbarbell.co.uk>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2003 Iain Truskett. Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Barbie for Miss Barbell Productions. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the Artistic Licence v2. perl v5.10.1 2010-08-31 Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)