Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk insert character in the middle of a line Post 90120 by mmarino on Friday 18th of November 2005 11:00:33 AM
Old 11-18-2005
Thanks vino and grasper! It is in position 11, the first 5 characters are spaces so it looks like it's in position 5.
The sed solutions looks a lot more complicated to me. I figured I had to use $0 instead of $1, and yes I was missing the open brace.
Thanks guys!

Monica
This User Gave Thanks to mmarino For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1 Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert a line in the middle of a file in BASH?

I have tried sed '/6/a text_to_inserted' file > newfile but this inserts test_to_insert at random places in file and i want it in specific location, which is line 6. can anyone help.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phenom
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a character in line in Special condition?

Hi, I have a log file generated by a tool which has the following look : /tmp/releases/directory/datefilename1_release_date.zip /tmp/releases/directory/datefilename2_release_date.zip /tmp/releases/directory/datefilename3_release_date.zip... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert character in the line

Hi All, I have below type file. abc|asd|pqr|2|2|2 asc|qwe|scf|5|4|4 Pipe location and count is dynamic and coming from a variable. I want to change it to below files. (chnage the first pipe to 3 pipes) abc|||asd|pqr|2|2|2 asc|||qwe|scf|5|4|4 (chnage the second pipe to 4 pipes)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swat
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to return the middle line number

I need an awk script that returns the 1st field of the line in the middle of a file. For example, if a file I have has 6 lines, I want it to return the 1st field on line number 3. If a file has 7 lines, I want the script to return the 1st field on line number 4. File1: 3 214 4 219 5 226 2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a character before a line

I have a file and I can get the line with a specific pattern. I want to inset # on start of the line. file.text ==== aa bb cc bb hh kk kk ll yy dd aa kk rr tt aa I want to comment out the line with contain "aa" after running the script file.text ==== #aa bb cc bb hh kk kk ll... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biplab
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert New Line Character

Hi, If my first character of a line starts with 2 then after 5th charecter newline character should be inserted. Input.txt: a1234567890 2222300007 bsdfsdf888999999 ssdfkjskfdjskfdjd 2899900000000099999999999999 28887777 999999999999999999 Output.txt: a1234567890 22223 00007... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script where it should insert character 'I' in 180th position of each line(except first and last line) of the file. Below is the script for file in /home/test/bharat/*.RET do # Process file echo "File Name=" $file #l_fileName="${file##*/}" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert new line after a specific character in scripts?

Hi, I'm trying to add a new line after finding a specific String. That is my string: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html and I want to change that file to: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html extra_hosts: -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siamak
4 Replies
curs_insch(3X)															    curs_insch(3X)

NAME
insch, winsch, mvinsch, mvwinsch - insert a character before cursor in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int insch(chtype ch); int winsch(WINDOW *win, chtype ch); int mvinsch(int y, int x, chtype ch); int mvwinsch(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, chtype ch); DESCRIPTION
These routines insert the character ch before the character under the cursor. All characters to the right of the cursor are moved one space to the right, with the possibility of the rightmost character on the line being lost. The insertion operation does not change the cursor position. RETURN VALUE
All routines that return an integer return ERR upon failure and OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion, unless otherwise noted in the preceding routine descriptions. Functions with a "mv" prefix first perform a cursor movement using wmove, and return an error if the position is outside the window, or if the window pointer is null. NOTES
These routines do not necessarily imply use of a hardware insert character feature. Note that insch, mvinsch, and mvwinsch may be macros. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. SEE ALSO
curses(3X). Comparable functions in the wide-character (ncursesw) library are described in curs_ins_wch(3X). curs_insch(3X)