Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can not test many arguments
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can not test many arguments Post 90082 by baton on Friday 18th of November 2005 02:46:41 AM
Old 11-18-2005
It works, thanks Niyati. A little curious, why we have to use [[ instead of [ in test expression. Is there any special meaning here?.

Thanks so much.
Baton

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't TEST multiple arguments for a file

Hi, I'm new to scripting and teaching myself how to code. Using Korn, I coded this one return "True" if a file is executable and it's not empty. However, each time I pass a file that is 777 which contains data, the script returns "false". if then echo "true" else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cruiser
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test - too many arguments

How do I prevent the message "too many arguments" to appear when using this script? name="one two three four five six seven" if test $name="" then echo "Empty variable" else echo "Value assigned" fi output: bash: test: too many arguments Value assigned (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prefixing test case methods with letter 'test'

Hi, I have a Python unit test cases source code file which contains more than a hundred test case methods. In that, some of the test case methods already have prefix 'test' where as some of them do not have. Now, I need to add the string 'test' (case-sensitive) as a prefix to those of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - condition evaluation utility SYNOPSIS
test expression DESCRIPTION
The test utility evaluates the expression and, if it evaluates to true, returns a zero (true) exit status; otherwise it returns 1 (false). If there is no expression, test also returns 1 (false). All operators and flags are separate arguments to the test utility. The following primaries are used to construct expression: -b file True if file exists and is a block special file. -c file True if file exists and is a character special file. -d file True if file exists and is a directory. -e file True if file exists (regardless of type). -f file True if file exists and is a regular file. -g file True if file exists and its set group ID flag is set. -h file True if file exists and is a symbolic link. -n string True if the length of string is nonzero. -p file True if file is a named pipe -r file True if file exists and is readable. -s file True if file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t [file_descriptor] True if the file whose file descriptor number is file_descriptor (default 1) is open and is associated with a terminal. -u file True if file exists and its set user ID flag is set. -w file True if file exists and is writable. True indicates only that the write flag is on. The file is not writable on a read-only file system even if this test indicates true. -x file True if file exists and is executable. True indicates only that the execute flag is on. If file is a directory, true indicates that file can be searched. -z string True if the length of string is zero. string True if string is not the null string. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. n1 -ne n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are not algebraically equal. n1 -gt n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically greater than the integer n2 . n1 -ge n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically greater than or equal to the integer n2 . n1 -lt n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically less than the integer n2 . n1 -le n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically less than or equal to the integer n2 . These primaries can be combined with the following operators: ! expression True if expression is false. expression1 -a expression2 True if both expression1 and expression2 are true. expression1 -o expression2 True if either expression1 or expression2 are true. (expression) True if expression is true. The -a operator has higher precedence than the -o operator. GRAMMAR AMBIGUITY
The test grammar is inherently ambiguous. In order to assure a degree of consistency, the cases described in the IEEE Std 1003.2 ("POSIX"), section D11.2/4.62.4, standard are evaluated consistently according to the rules specified in the standards document. All other cases are subject to the ambiguity in the command semantics. RETURN VALUES
The test utility exits with one of the following values: 0 expression evaluated to true. 1 expression evaluated to false or expression was missing. >1 An error occurred. BUGS
Named pipes are not implemented in 2.11BSD. STANDARDS
The test function is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 ("POSIX") compatible. 7th Edition March 13, 1995 TEST(1)