Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: character matching
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers character matching Post 9 by Rukshan on Tuesday 19th of September 2000 04:23:28 AM
Old 09-19-2000
Error

Is there a way to pull out a character at a time from a work in unix, using a shell script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching a choice of character in test command

Hi ] && exit 0 Although it, the $answer, is 'y', the test operation returns true. && exit 0 This works but I want to do multiple choice matching. I don't want to do like: Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching repeated character

looking for a bit of help with sed. I have a file that looks a bit like this: sdfghhjk asdfdfghgj asdfhgghj werdfvtfh edftbgh 1211211221 sdffgfm dfghnhjm dfvfsgbgh adsfv bdhgn 1111111dffg dfv1122 dsgvbghn111111 fffffffgbdghn fffffff sfgh3333gs vdf (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching character

Alright, I am stuck here. I have this variable that stores the word = HELLO and I have converted it it to ----- I have asked user to input one character at a time. SAy, if they enter E. Therefore, I need to search 2nd character and input E there. makes it -E--- (other checkings have been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Character matching from pos 7-15 to pos 211-219 if True then replace 211-219 with spaces

Script for if characters from positions 7-15 are matching with characters from position 211-219 then replace all char from 211-219 with 9 space. Total length of record is 420. Here is the specification of the data in file. Position Field Data Type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Bash to ash port, character-matching problem

I'm trying to convert this working bash script into an Ash script, read -p "Username:" _username if ! ]]; then echo "Valid" else echo "INVALID" fi However, Ash does not recognize the "=~" character. How can I do this? Also, is there a good reference guide, so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzivkovi
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)