Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying file names returned from a grep command into another directory Post 89994 by ashterix on Thursday 17th of November 2005 10:52:47 AM
Old 11-17-2005
$ cp `grep -l "string" *` tmp/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of lines returned from a grep command

hi all, from a shell (ksh) script, i am doing a 'grep'. how do i find out the number of lines returned from that 'grep' command ?? thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a pattern of files in one directory into other with new pattern names...

Hi, I have to copy a set of files abc* in /path/ to /path1/ as abc*_bkp. The list of files appear as follows in /path/: abc1 xyszd abc2 re2345 abcx .. . abcxyz I have to copy them (abc* files only) into /path1/ as: abc1_bkp abc2_bkp abcx_bkp .. . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list file names instead of lines when grep a gzcat command?

Hi, I want to list filenames instead of lines when i search in compresed files for a string. #gzcat *.gz | grep -l 12345 gives me: <stdin> Anyone got a solution on this problem? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HugoH
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort file returned by FIND command in ascending

Hi there I have to enhance my current file looping to ensure the oldest file being processed first. current command: for FILENAME in `find $MY_DIRECTORY -follow -type f` I manage to get command for order by date modified descending, just can't get the ascending order. Please help for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elsie512
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting file names in GREP command

Hi friends, It gives me 3 lines in output which contain word "automation". But along with it I want the script to return file name from which it got the word. How to do it? Plz guide me Anu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying same file multiple times with different names

hi, I am copying a file from 1 folder to another in /bin/sh. if the file already exists there, it should get copied as filename1. again if copying next time it shouldget copied as filename2.. , filename3..so on.. The problem is i am able to get uptil filename1.. but how do i know what... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackcat
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying List of Files Under Different File Names ?!

Hi to all here , Excuse me for the lamer question but I need UNIX command for copying List of Files Under Different File Names ! for example I have this list: new_001.jpg new_002.jpg new_003.jpg ..... I want to copy all files that start with "new_" to the same directory but under... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boboweb_
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text in file names while copying them.

I'm trying to find a Bourne shell script that will copy files from one directory using a wild card for the file name (*) and add some more characters in the middle of the file name as it is copied. As an example: /u01/tmp-file1.xml => /u02/tmp-file1-20130620.xml /u01/tmp-file2.xml => ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Keller
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)