Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No more windows!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers No more windows! Post 89904 by tmarikle on Wednesday 16th of November 2005 05:32:45 PM
Old 11-16-2005
I custom ordered my Compaq Persario 5000z, which turned out to be better for me as a result. Bottom line is that my system ended up with a few better components than the shelf models (still isn't saying too much).

Loading Solaris 8 didn't work too well. I couldn't find drivers for my video, modem, or NIC. Solaris did install and I would have continued with Solaris but, since I was rebuilding the OS anyway, I installed Red Hat 7 for grins.

Red Hat installed drivers for every device but my modem (if I recall correctly). That coupled with it's cool collection of stuff decided for me. Solaris was pretty much the same Solaris I've always used and the Gnome window manager was far too appealing for me to struggle through tracking down video and NIC drivers just to get a functional system.

This configuration worked great as a database server for a year until my kid's gaming reqs conflicted with mine at which point I moved to Fedora for my Dell, which still serves as a database server.

Bottom line is that you're likely to have fewer configuration and compatibility issues on your Compaq with some Linux distro.

By the way, I learned my lesson with the Compaq system. These systems were not meant to be used for anything other than Windoze. Even Win2k was a hard fit. I buy nothing but Dells anymore. I can't speak to other distros but Fedora installed on my Dell desktop system without a hitch. I use it primarily as an Oracle database server, keeping up on their latest technologies.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

startX windows application during boot.....putty connection takes the windows

Dear all i am new to linux/debian i run my application on the computer...during startup in bashrc i wrk wid dis script to invoke startx..i do this above command and it works perfectly... if && ; then startx -- -br 1>/dev/null exit 0 fi i use winscp for file transfer and putty for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkat_330
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
RHN_CHECK(8)							  Red Hat Network						      RHN_CHECK(8)

NAME
rhn_check - check for queued actions on RHN and execute them SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rhn_check [-v] [--verbose] DESCRIPTION
rhn_check is a client program that connects to the Red Hat Network backend servers and retrieves information associated with the queued actions for this particular system. This script reads the digital server ID from /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid and uses that to identify the machine to the Red Hat Network. Upon successfull authentication, rhn_check will start processing the queued actions sequentially. ACTION TYPES
The following types of actions are currently processed by rhn_check: action type description () () refresh This action will refresh the hardware or software profiles of this machine with Red Hat Network. This fucntion is called as refresh(hardware) or refresh(rpmlist) new_systemid This action is used by the RHn Backend to update the Digital system ID of this machine with a new one. update_packages This action will trigger rhn_check into running a package update for a list of packages queued from the Red Hat Network. rhn_check will use modules from the up2date client to download the packages, solve dependencies and install the on the system. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto Red Hat Network. This file does not exist otherwise. /var/spool/up2date This directory is used by up2date to store package headers and RPM packages downloaded from Red Hat Network SEE ALSO
man pages for up2date(8) and rhnsd(8). AUTHORS
Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> ()