Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Giving format to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Giving format to a file Post 89732 by DebianJ on Tuesday 15th of November 2005 11:27:48 AM
Old 11-15-2005
Giving format to a file

hi all,

i have a big problem and i don't know what to do. This is the thing: i have a flat file with 26 fields, which are separated by ';'
by example, i have this:

Peter;Smith;2005;200508; .........

if the lengths of the fields are:
field 1: Alphanumeric[10] - field 2: Alphanumeric[10] - field 3: numeric[8] - field 4: numeric [10] - etc ....
i want this:

Peter ;Smith ;00002005;0000200508;

I need giving format to each field, to get the length of each field, which is established. if the field is numeric, i must fill with zeroes to the left of the number, until the length of the field is completed. if the field is alphanumeric, i must field whit blank spaces to the rigth of the value.

an important thing, is what i must keep the field separator (Smilie.

how can i do thatΏ?
please, help me
thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/sbin/zonename file giving me problems

I'm trying to install the recommended patch cluster on a x86 Solaris 10 box. I get this error: ERROR: /sbin/zonename cannot be found. install_cluster for 10_x86 patch cluster not applied. Exiting. I tried touching the file and it gave a different error of: expected argument.. anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:) Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on this.........Let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:confused: Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving input to a c++ file

My C++ program creates a nxn matrix with given value. For e.g if the input is 10 it will creates a matrix of 10x10 now what i want is the script should run program and give input values in a variation of 1000. Say first matrix of 1000 then 2000 , 3000 ..... 10000. I tried using for loop but unable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonyaim83
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the format of a giving file ( a bit challenge) Thank you

Hi, I have a file like this: mgr1.dbf tool.dbf usr.dbf wow19.dbf wow2wow.dbf Can anyone help change the format after each line of reading to: mgr2.dbf # add 1 of *1.dbf tool2.dbf # if not a number exist, make it default to 2 usr2.dbf wow20.dbf # add 1 of *19.dbf wow3wow.dbf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like φƒ.ƒ.„έέ‘Š·œƒ.„έέ‘Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a script without giving x permission to the file?

How to execute a script with out giving x permission to the file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting row in a giving file

hi I would like to sort rows in a givin file except the first colomn (or first element of a row) just like the following example file input : 1 3 8 5 2 2 8 1 3 9 8 10 file output : 1 8 5 3 2 8 2 1 3 10 9 8 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yassinegoth
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

GetLine fn always giving last line of the file

Hi, Its bit urget for me to complete. pls help me. I am parsing 2 file 1. INDATA(Data file) 2. GRPFIL(Reference) every record in INDATA should be verified with GRP_DATA. I am seeing the output from only the last line of ref file, its not searching all the lines. INDATA sample... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyperion.krish
1 Replies
srec_ti_tagged_16(5)						File Formats Manual					      srec_ti_tagged_16(5)

NAME
srec_ti_tagged_16 - Texas Instruments Tagged (SDSMAC 320) file format DESCRIPTION
This format is also known as the TI-Tagged or Texas Instruments SDSMAC (320) format. This format allows binary files to be uploaded and downloaded between two computer systems, typically between a computer system (such as a PC, Macintosh, or workstation) and an emulator or evaluation board for 16-bit microcontrollers and microprocessors. The Lines Unlike many other object formats, the lines themselves are not especially significant. The format consits of a number of tagged fields, and lines are composed of a series of these fields. Tag Description ------------------------------------- * Data byte. : End of file. 0 File header (optional). 7 Checksum. 8 Dummy checksum (ignored). 9 Word Address. B Data word. F End of data record. K Program identifier (optional). Data Byte +--+---+---+ |B | n | n | One byte of data. The nn is 8-bit big-endian hexadecimal. +--+---+---+ End of File +--+------+ |: | CRLF | The end of data is indicated by this tag. The end of line sequence+(LF-on+Unix systems, CRLF on PCs) follows this tag. File Header +--+--------+----------+ |0 | length | filename | The optional start-of-file record begins with a tag character+('0')-and-a-12-character file header. The first four characters are the count (in hex) of the 16-bit data word values (B) which follow, not including data byte values (*). The remaining file header characters are the name of the file and may be any ASCII characters, blank padded. Checksum +--+---+---+---+---+ |7 | n | n | n | n | The checksum is the 2s complement sum of the 8-bit ASCII values-of-characters, beginning with the first tag character and ending with the checksum tag character (7). The nnnn is 16-bit big-endian hexadecimal. Dummy Checksum +--+---+---+---+---+ |8 | n | n | n | n | The checksum is the 2s complement sum of the 8-bit ASCII values+of-characters,-beginning with the first tag character and ending with the checksum tag character (8). The nnnn is 16-bit big-endian hexadecimal. Address +--+---+---+---+---+ |9 | n | n | n | n | Addresses may be given for any data byte, but none is mandatory.--The-file+begins at 0000 if no address is given before the first data field. The nnnn is 16-bit big-endian hexadecimal. Data Word +--+---+---+---+---+ |B | a | a | b | b | Two bytes of data. The aa and bb are each 8-bit big-endian hexadecimal.---+---+ End of Record +--+------+ |F | CRLF | The end of line sequence (LF on Unix systems, CRLF on PCs) is escaped-using this tag. The checksum is reset to zero at this point. Program Identifier +--+---+---+---+---+------+ |K | n | n | n | n | text | The program identifier can contain a brief description of-the-program,-or-can-be-empty (i.e. the text portion is optional). The nnnn length (hex) of the field includes the `K', the length and the text; it is at least 5. Size Multiplier In general, binary data will expand in sized by approximately 2.9 times when represented with this format. EXAMPLE
Here is an example TI-Tagged file. It contains the data "Hello, World[rq] to be loaded at address 0x0100. K000590080B4865B6C6CB6F2CB2057B6F72B6C64*0A7F641F : Here is another example from the reference below 00028 7FDCFF 90000BFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFF7F400F 90008BFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFF7F3F8F 90010BFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFF7F3FFF 90018BFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFF7F3F7F 90020BFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFFBFFFF7F3FEF : SEE ALSO
http://www.dataio.com/pdf/Manuals/Unifamily/981-0014-016.pdf (page 6-7) COPYRIGHT
srec_cat version 1.58 Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Peter Miller The srec_cat program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. This is free software and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. AUTHOR
Peter Miller E-Mail: pmiller@opensource.org.au //* WWW: http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/ Reference Manual SRecord srec_ti_tagged_16(5)