Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extracting lines from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting lines from a file Post 89707 by ashterix on Tuesday 15th of November 2005 08:41:07 AM
Old 11-15-2005
you can use egrep

$ egrep File | egrep date filenames

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required regarding Extracting lines from a file

I have a file containing the following contents All of us, including Zippy, our dog All of us, including Zippy and Zippy All of us, including Zippy and Zippy and Zelda Testing All of us Zippy Now, i wanna grep and get the lines which has only one occurance of word Zippy and starting with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: google_ever
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting unique lines from text file

I have a file with 14million lines and I would like to extract all the unique lines from the file into another text file. For example: Contents of file1 happy sad smile happy funny sad I want to run a command against file one that only returns the unique lines (ie 1 line for happy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting lines from a file

i want to extract lines 5 and 7 from a txt file which contains nearly 20 entries how to do it also i want to check whether the 42nd character is 'S' in that line suggestions welcome (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines in file based on time

Hi, anyone has any ideas on how do we extract lines from a file with format similiar to this: (based on current time) Jun 18 00:16:50 .......... ............. ............ Jun 18 00:17:59 .......... ............. ............ Jun 18 01:17:20 .......... ............. ............ Jun 18... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific lines from a file

hi all, i searched in unix.com and accquired the following commands for extracting specific lines from a file .. sed -n '16482,16482p' in.sql > out.sql awk 'NR>=10&&NR<=20' in.sql > out.sql.... these commands are working fine if i give the line numbers as such .. but if i pass a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting Lines in a file

Hi, We have a file where we need to extract the lines of a file based on the first three characters of every line in that file. Eg: RAM hill station SAM student RAM rose SAM apple RAM india SAM australia RAM happy RAM heaven SAM smile RAM glow So, all the lines that start... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting lines from a file with similar first name

consider i have two files cat onlyviews1.sql CREATE VIEW V11 AS SELECT id, name, FROM etc etc WHERE etc etc; CREATE VIEW V22 AS SELECT id, name, FROM etc etc WHERE etc etc; CREATE VIEW V33 AS (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting block of lines from a file

consider the input file which i am dealing with looks like this.. #cat 11.sql create table abc ( . . . ) engine=Innodb ; . . etc . . . create table UsM ( blah blah blah ) engine=Innodb ; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies
ZIPGREP(1L)															       ZIPGREP(1L)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1L) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1L), zip(1L), funzip(1L), zipcloak(1L), zipinfo(1L), zipnote(1L), zipsplit(1L) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 17 February 2002 ZIPGREP(1L)