Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users encrypting file system using AES 256 bit Post 89652 by Neo on Monday 14th of November 2005 06:25:54 PM
Old 11-14-2005
I do not recommend you encrypt a filesystem. People who do this find that when they have a system crash, they have a very difficult time to recover.

In the rare instances I have used an encrypted file system, each time eventually resulted in need to wipe out the entire disk, due to system or user errors.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Writing both 8-bit and 16-bit data to a file

I'm writing both 8-bit and wide 16-bit data to the screen and an output file. I have no problems with writing out to the screen - for example: cout<<8-bit data; wcout<<16-bit data; Similarly, I have used ofstream for 8-bit and wofstream for 16-bit, for example: ofstream out; wofstream wout;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Breen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix a 32-bit operating system?

heyfrenz i just need a proper explanation of why is unix a 32-bit operating system??....a proper answer with proper explanation.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: silverrock7
6 Replies

3. Linux

Operating system Bit verison

How to check the Linux operating System bit version i.e if the operating system is 32-bit verison or 64-bit verison? There is a file which gives this information, i think it is in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. I am not sure about this? This Might be a silly question, but it is important. ;) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasiharshav
7 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Four-Level multi-paging on x86 system with 64 bit addressing

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi all, I've got a huuuuuuge problem with understanding this new concept of multi-paging. I really tried to research but i could not find anything significant. I've been trying to understand this for 4 days and i cannot. The question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to remove 32/64 bit RPM's from your system

Hi, I have a 64-bit RHEL 5.5. In order to make a particular product work I want to uninstall some rpms which is specific to 64 bit. Wondering if anyone has a way how to remove the 64-bit rpm without disturbing the i386 rpms. What I find when I googled is all are removing forcefully, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for encrypting/decrypting text file

Hello, I am a newbie in Shell scripting. At the moment, I have a program written in C++ which gives an output file in text format. I would like to write a shell program which can take that output file and encrypt it and later if needed I want to decrypt it. Could someone please help or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanin
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Is ccrypt AES 256 bit crypto secure enough?

Toucan software uses 256bit AES encryption using ccrypt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ccrypt) i want to ask if its secure to use this ccrypt encryption for storing .TXT file with my passwords on cloud storage like Google Drive? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
7 Replies

8. Programming

Publish and Subscribe to AES-256 Encrypted MQTT Messages to Node-RED from PHP Scripts

Various Node-Red crypto modules do not work with PHP, so to send an encrypted message from a PHP script (in this case from a Ubuntu server) to Node-RED we need our own code. After a few hours of searching, testing various libs, more testing and debugging, I got this PHP to Node-RED code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies