Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ignoring backslash while executing command Post 89600 by agalkin on Monday 14th of November 2005 02:42:38 PM
Old 11-14-2005
ignoring backslash while executing command

Hi, I'm running into following issue, my_file is a collection of windows directories (i.e \\path\directory\file) . I need to be able to execute "my command" as
my command \\path\directory\file
I know that while read -r / print -r ignores backslashes.
My code:

cat $my_file | while read -r line
do
my_array[$i]=$line
(( i = i + 1 ))
myarray[i]=$line
done
(( h = 0 ))
while (( h < `cat $my_file | wc -l ))
do
my command ${my_array[h]}

this executes incorrect values

print -r "my command ${my_array[h]}"

this sends correct output to the screen

(( h = h + 1 ))
done

Appreciate any help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backslash in find command

When I run my script in debug mode I see that \ is not getting executed as part of command. It is being treated as escape character. find ${DATABASE_PARAM_PATH} -mtime +${RETENTION_PERIOD} -exec rm -rf {} \; Command execution output in debug mode : find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findprakash
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"read" command ignoring leading spaces

I have to read a file line by line, change it and then update the file. Problem is, when i read the file, "read" command ignores leading spaces. The file is a script which is indented in many places for clarity. How to i make "read" command read leading spaces as well. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Comparison command but ignoring while spaces

Hello All, I am writing a file comparison utility and using the cmp command to compare 2file. But I need command that will compare 2 files and if the files are identical expect for differences in white spaces, then it should ignore those spaces and consider the two files equal. Is there a way to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What prefix backslash does to command

In unix when I run rm command, it asks for file removal confirmation e.g. rm netmail_log.csv rm: remove netmail_log.csv (yes/no)? n But if i prefix backslash to rm it does not ask for confirmation. Does anyone know what backslash does to command or shell ? e.g. \rm netmail_log.csv (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devdatta
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable backslash in command line

Dear I have one problem in SCO Unix command line. I want to disable execution of commands with backslash. For example - if the user executes the following command \exec_script Here - i want the system should NOT execute this command. Can any one give me a suitable... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbu62
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing sh command

Hi, I have 2 files temp1.sh and temp2.sh as follows: =========== temp1.sh =========== echo "session1" sh temp2.sh echo "exit session2 and enter session1" ================================= ============= temp2.sh ============= echo "session2" sh echo "exit session2"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RP09
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace backslash at the end of the string using sed command

I have text file which is a tab delimited one. Sample data from the file is shown below: unix is\ great\ os linux\ is superb I want to replace that backslash with empty string preserving the tab delimiter. Output should be unix is great os linux is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.akhilreddy4u
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command escaping backslash "/"

Hello friends/'unix experts', i have a file as below cat sample.txt satish /rakesh/ sandhya /sandeep/ i have to replace /rakesh/ with rakesh, how can i do it with sed, i tried below code but its throwing errors sed -e 's/'"\(/rakesh/)\"'/\1rakesh/g' sample.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: only4satish
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Command to compare two xml lines while ignoring xml tags

I've got two different files and want to compare them. File 1 : HTML Code: <response ticketId="944" type="getQueryResults"><status>COMPLETE</status><description>Query results fetched successfully</description><recordSet totalCount="1" type="sms_records"><record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies
extract_font_range(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual				       extract_font_range(3alleg4)

NAME
extract_font_range - Extracts a range of characters from a font. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> FONT *extract_font_range(FONT *f, int begin, int end) DESCRIPTION
This function extracts a character range from a font and returns a new font that contains only the range of characters selected by this function. You can pass -1 for either the lower or upper bound if you want to select all characters from the start or to the end of the font. Example: FONT *myfont; FONT *capitals; FONT *fontcopy; ... /* Create a font of only capital letters */ capitals = extract_font_range(myfont, 'A', 'Z'); /* Create a copy of the font */ fontcopy = extract_font_range(myfont, -1, -1); ... destroy_font(capitals); destroy_font(fontcopy); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the new font or NULL on error. Remember that you are responsible for destroying the font when you are finished with it to avoid memory leaks. SEE ALSO
get_font_range_begin(3alleg4), get_font_range_end(3alleg4), merge_fonts(3alleg4), transpose_font(3alleg4), exfont(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 extract_font_range(3alleg4)