Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Change password script in Unix easily.. Post 89596 by Perderabo on Monday 14th of November 2005 02:14:07 PM
Old 11-14-2005
As I said in my post I tested my script on HP-UX and Solaris only. And I was using the standard vendor supplied passwd program. It is not going to work with any program called "passwd" regardless of what user interaction is required. Since you have a different version of passwd, you will need to modify my script to work with your passwd program.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change UNIX password

My shop has just ordained that all UNIX passwords expire after 45 days. We do NOT have a "single logon" facility, so I will need to logon to each of the servers (15+) I interact with and change my password by hand. I thought I could invoke passwd inside a ksh script as a Here document and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to change the UNIX password prompt?

Hi guys, I got these 3 servers: a, b and c which I ssh from a to b/c. a:$ ssh userid@b Password: a:$ ssh userid@c userid@c's password: Notice that the password prompt is different (highlighted in bold) on both servers even though their SUN Solaris version the same, OpenSSH version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script to change password

Hello Gurus I have little challenge which I do not know how to address it. I have unix account on many servers (let's say over 25). These accounts expire every 60 days. Is there scripts that I can run from my "local computer" and pass a new password to it where it would change it for me on all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
7 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] Howto change subdirectory easily using cd

Hi all, how to change the path easily from /u01/oracle/oradata/newdb/tab >cd olddb /u01/oracle/oradata/olddb/tab > or /u01/oracle/oradata/newdb/tab >cd u05 /u05/oracle/oradata/newdb/tab > I am lazy for typing the abs. path again... As I know there is some "tips" in doing this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Automatic script to change the UNIX Password

Hi, we have around 50 users and every month we need to change the password manually once its expire. do we have any script to change the password automatically. OS -HP-UX Thanks in advance.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: periyasamycse
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change password in UNIX

Hi Friends, Every morning i need to change the password, please advise how it can be automated. I am having pre planned password list for 4 months which can be used as input file for new passwords. Thanks (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajjev_saini123
28 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
cvsd-passwd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    cvsd-passwd(8)

NAME
cvsd-passwd - generate password entries for repositories SYNOPSIS
cvsd-passwd REPOS [+|-]NAME... DESCRIPTION
cvsd-passwd adds, updates or deletes users from repository passwd files for use with cvsd. OPTIONS
REPOS Specify the directory in which the repository is located. This argument can be the top of the repository, the CVSROOT directory or even the passwd file in the CVSROOT directory. [+]USER[:SUSER] Add or update the user to the CVSROOT/passwd file. If the user does not exist a password for the user is asked and the user is added for use with cvsd. If the user already exists a password for is asked and the password field is modified. The :SUSER part can be user to change or set mapping to a system user. If you do not specify anything, a reasonable default is used based upon your cvsd configuration. If you don't want to map the user to any specified system user you can specify an empty SUSER and use 'USER:'. -USER Remove the user from the CVSROOT/passwd file. EXAMPLES
Add an anoncvs user to access the given repository: cvsd-passwd /var/lib/cvsd/myrepos +anoncvs If the user already exists, change the password. Remove a user from the repository passwd list: cvsd-passwd /var/lib/cvsd/myrepos -foo Add a user and specify that cvs should remap this user to the joe system user: cvsd-passwd /var/lib/cvsd/myrepos joecvs:joe Note that the user joe should be known in the system passwd file and that cvsd should be run as root or user joe for this to work. SEE ALSO
cvsd(8) AUTHOR
Arthur de Jong <arthur@arthurdejong.org>. Version 1.0.24 Jun 2012 cvsd-passwd(8)