Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux groupadd: unable to lock group file Post 89536 by Daven81 on Monday 14th of November 2005 07:48:50 AM
Old 11-14-2005
groupadd: unable to lock group file

Hi guys,
i encountered this error when i try to create a group. What is the problem here? I created a few groups weeks before this. I was recommended to reboot the machine, but i am not the owner of the machine, thus i would prefer to know the cause and any other solution other than rebooting the machine.
Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Unable to create a group

Hi, I'm trying to create a new group on an AIX 5.2.0.0. server but am getting the following error: root:/root $ mkgroup debt 3004-698 Error committing changes to "debt" : Value is invalid. I've change the group name to no affect. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
0 Replies

2. Linux

Unable to Lock User

Hi, I am trying to lock a user by executing "passwd -l xxxx" but the system is returning following error: Locking password for user xxxx. passwd: Error (password not set?) I do see the passwd for this user encrypted in shadow file thou! Anyone have any ideas why am getting this error? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harjitsingh
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to release package administration lock for this system

Hi, I created a Solaris package, but at the end of installation (on a Solaris 10 sparc) I get : #pkgadd -d MyApp_version__SunOS_sparc.pkg ... Installation of <MyAppName> was successful. pkgadd: ERROR: ERROR: Unable to release package administration lock for this system; try again later... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

groupadd

Hello everyone-I am a new Unix user, only in my second week of class, and i am having a real hard time getting the groupadd command to work. The command I am using is /usr/sbin/groupadd mygroup. When I try this to create a group called "mygroup" I get a "Permission Denied" message. Am i using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfruiz34
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to add disk to VG group.

Hi, I am new to solaris administration. I have scan the new EMC SAN disk. I am able to see the disk when i run the powermt display dev=all command o/p. I want to format the disk and add file system to that disk. Can have formated the disk. and this the o/p of my format bash-3.00# prtvtoc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to deactivate a Volume Group

We want to deactivate a VG but failed, because one of the LVs created there is busy. When we are trying to unmount the LV, it is telling "not mounted" and if I execute mount command it will be informing us "already mounted". dmsetup info is indicating "Open Count = 1". Please help me, how we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to reduce the size of volume group?

My volume group of size 200 gb. out of which only 100 gb is used by 2 logical volumes /dev/vg00/lvol0 and /dev/vg00/lvol0 respectively (both are 50 gb each). Whenever i use vgreduce command to reduce the size of volume group i get below error. # vgreduce vg00 -a Physical volume... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
16 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to add new group in Solaris

I have installed Solaris 10 in VMware. Whenever I am trying to add new group using the command '/usr/sbin/groupadd/oinstall' while logged in as root , it is showing as '/usr/sbin/groupadd/oinstall can not execute'. It will be great to hear any inputs/advice here. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandip250382
4 Replies

9. AIX

Unable to extend volume group(VG)

Would some help me on this below I am trying to extend file system on AIX and however unable to extend the file system. 0516-306 extendvg: Unable to find physical volume 20 in the Device Configuration Database. 0516-321 extendvg: Physical volume u01-lv is not configured. 0516-792... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to obtain lock on NFS files

Hello , I am creating a controlfile of database in linux and below is the error coming: SQL> CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE set DATABASE "newdbcln" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG 2 MAXLOGFILES 5 3 MAXLOGMEMBERS 5 MAXDATAFILES 100 4 5 MAXINSTANCES 1 6 MAXLOGHISTORY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
2 Replies
groupadd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      groupadd(1M)

NAME
groupadd - add (create) a new group definition on the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/groupadd [ -g gid [-o]] group DESCRIPTION
The groupadd command creates a new group definition on the system by adding the appropriate entry to the /etc/group file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -g gid Assigns the group id gid for the new group. This group id must be a non-negative decimal integer below MAXUID as defined in /usr/include/sys/param.h. The group ID defaults to the next available (unique) number above the highest number currently assigned. For example, if groups 100, 105, and 200 are assigned as groups, the next default group number will be 201. (Group IDs from 0-99 are reserved by SunOS for future applications.) -o Allows the gid to be duplicated (non-unique). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: group A string consisting of characters from the set of lower case alphabetic characters and numeric characters. A warning message will be written if the string exceeds MAXGLEN, which is usually set at eight characters. The group field must contain at least one character; it accepts lower case or numeric characters or a combination of both, and must not contain a colon (:) or NEWLINE. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the groupadd command is displayed. 3 An invalid argument was provided to an option. 4 The gid is not unique (when -o option is not used). 9 The group is not unique. 10 The /etc/group file cannot be updated. FILES
/etc/group /usr/include/userdefs.h ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
users(1B), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), grpck(1M), logins(1M), pwck(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), attributes(5) NOTES
groupadd only adds a group definition to the local system. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/group file with additional entries, groupadd cannot change information supplied by the network name service. However, groupadd will verify the uniqueness of group name and group ID against the external name service. SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 1998 groupadd(1M)