Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming performing a task at regular intervals Post 89513 by blowtorch on Monday 14th of November 2005 04:26:07 AM
Old 11-14-2005
If you are looking to write a loop, then you might want to look at the sleep call as well. As in:
Code:
while(1) {
do stuff..
sleep(60); /* here you will sleep for 60 sec and then wake up and go on to do the same stuff again*/
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Intervals

I posted a question on date intervals about a month back asking about how I could be able to go about a user entering the starting year/month/day and an ending year/month/day and then the script automatically cycling through each day of each month of each year that the user has specified. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailing myself at regular intervals...

hi all, i wrote a script to mail myself using pine (modified) to keep remind of b'days. #!/bin/bash grep "`date +%D |awk -F/ '{print $2+1, $1+0}'`" dataFile >/home/username/mailme if test -s /home/username/mailme then pine -I '^X,y' -subject "Birthday Remainder" username... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timepassman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help me out ... I want to check process status at regular intervals of time

I want to check process status at regular interval of time ... so i ha wirtten this BUT its not working when i placed this peace of code in .sh .. please help me out #!/bin/sh w = ps -ef|grep processname | wc - l echo $w if ; then Banner "Proceesname Problem" else Banner " Running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasvandana
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide numbers into intervals

divide input values into specified number (-100 or -200) according to the key (a1 or a2 ....) For ex: if we give -100 in the command line it would create 100 number intervals (1-100, 100-200, 200-300) untill it covers the value 300 in a1. Note: It should work the same even with huge numbers... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a block of Text at regular intervals

Hello all, I have a text files that consists of blocks of text. Each block of text represents a set of Cartesian coordinates for a molecule. Each block of text starts with a line that has a only a number, which is equal to the total number of atoms in the molecule. After this number is a line... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
15 Replies

8. Programming

Selecting files in regular intervals from a folder

Hi, I need your expertise in selecting files from a folder. I have files named with convention: filename.i.j where j is an interger from 1 to 16, for each i which is an integer from 1 to 2000. I would like to select the files with i in regular interval of 50 like filename.1.j,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpd25
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bulk load testing in regular intervals

I need to write a script which can send files via sftp communication continously for half an hour or any given duration of time. I have already written a batch file to send multiple file via SFTP. but I need to know how can we set a duration of half an hour through shell script. Can we use sleep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talk1234
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building intervals

Hi all, I hope you can help me with the following question: I have multiple tables like this: Chr Start End Zygosity Gene chr1 153233510 153233510 het LOR chr1 153233615 153233615 hom LOR chr1 153233701 153233701 hom LOR chr1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
5 Replies
iv_task(3)						    ivykis programmer's manual							iv_task(3)

NAME
iv_task_register, iv_task_unregister, iv_task_registered - deal with ivykis tasks SYNOPSIS
#include <iv.h> struct iv_task { void *cookie; void (*handler)(void *); }; void IV_TASK_INIT(struct iv_task *task); void iv_task_register(struct iv_task *task); void iv_task_unregister(struct iv_task *task); int iv_task_registered(struct iv_task *task); DESCRIPTION
The functions iv_task_register and iv_task_unregister register, respectively unregister, a task with the current thread's ivykis event loop. iv_task_registered on a task returns true if that task is currently registered with ivykis. A task is like a timer, but with an immediate timeout. When a task is registered, unless it is unregistered again first, the callback function specified by ->handler is guaranteed to be called once, in the thread that the task was registered in, some time after control returns to the ivykis main loop but before ivykis will sleep for more events, with ->cookie as its first and sole argument. When this hap- pens, the task is transparently unregistered. Tasks are mainly used for scheduling code for execution where it is not appropriate to directly run that code in the calling context (for example, because the current context might be run as a callback function where the caller expects certain conditions to remain invariant after the callback completes). The application is allowed to change the ->cookie and ->handler members at any time. A given struct iv_task can only be registered in one thread at a time, and a task can only be unregistered in the thread that it was regis- tered from. There is no limit on the number of tasks registered at once. See iv_examples(3) for programming examples. SEE ALSO
ivykis(3), iv_examples(3) ivykis 2010-08-15 iv_task(3)