Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can i install unix on pentium3 ? Post 89445 by alok.behria on Sunday 13th of November 2005 04:53:45 AM
Old 11-13-2005
Hi,

thanks for your reply.well i know that linux is very much like unix and i do have linux cd,but i wanted to know weather my home pc able to run unix on it. and if there is a link from where i can download unix for free.

hare krishna
Alok

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Install

Hi I'm a newbie here and, in Unix. I bought a book to learn the code. I have been in different websites to find information on how to install Red Hat Linux 7.2 on my system, but I may not understand what's going on. All I see on the sites is ftp sites for download but when you click on the links... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Millienc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i install UNIX beside Windows XP???

Hi guys i'm new here .. and actually i wanna anyone answer my question it's simple the question is " can i setup or install UNIX beside windows XP?" i need answer plz thanks :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Hafez
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install Unix on my pc

Hi guys, I have used Unix while I was a student but want to install it on my pc. My question is How do I install UNIX on my pc which has Windows XP already installed and running? I have a bootable Unix 6.0 CD. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asif iqbal
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install Unix

Can anyone tell me how to install Unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hrach_gulzadyan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I install Unix?

Hi, Im completely new to Unix installations, but have done some unix work so some commands are not new to me. But I would like to start my own Unix FTP server, but I have no clue where to start. I have a computer that i soon format the HD on (Was Windows,Intel computer), so I want to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpMeGetStarte
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where can i get software for install unix

Need help guys, i need to know where can i get a unix on solaris 10 software to install unix into my computer since i dont have internet. I want to start playing on them at home. Any help appreciated .... sonny (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rxsonny
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I install things on Unix?

I am really confused as to how to install a piece of software on Unix especially after having worked with Windows for over 10 years. I see the tar.gz, tar.gz2 and rpm packages. How do I install these things? Do I have to be a root to do this? If its only the root, then how do users generally... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking to install Unix on my Mac

I know how to install Unix or Linux on my Mac using bootcamp, I installed the Ubuntu distribution of Linux on my Mac. Basically I'm looking for advice on what OS I should learn with. I am fiercely interested in programming, and am learning C++ and Python at the moment. Anyways, everyone has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micolejr2
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install Unix??

Hi Experts, I am a new born trying to start learning UNIX so please be patient. I have downloaded Free BSD 9.0 Release i386 All recently.Upon extracting it I found four Disc Image File. FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1 FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RishabhK
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Install git on UNIX

How can I install git on unix using wget? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akash BHardwaj
7 Replies
UUIDD(8)						       System Administration							  UUIDD(8)

NAME
uuidd - UUID generation daemon SYNOPSIS
uuidd [options] DESCRIPTION
The uuidd daemon is used by the UUID library to generate universally unique identifiers (UUIDs), especially time-based UUIDs, in a secure and guaranteed-unique fashion, even in the face of large numbers of threads running on different CPUs trying to grab UUIDs. OPTIONS
-d Run uuidd in debugging mode. This prevents uuidd from running as a daemon. -h, --help Display help screen and exit. -k, --kill If currently a uuidd daemon is running, kill it. -n, --uuids number When issuing a test request to a running uuidd, request a bulk response of number UUIDs. -p, --pid path Specify the pathname where the pid file should be written. By default, the pid file is written to /var/run/uuidd/uuidd.pid. -q Suppress some failure messages. -r, --random Test uuidd by trying to connect to a running uuidd daemon and request it to return a random-based UUID. -s, --socket path Specify the pathname used for the unix-domain socket used by uuidd. By default, the pathname used is /var/run/uuidd/request. This is primarily for debugging purposes, since the pathname is hard-coded in the libuuid library. -T, --timeout timeout Specify a timeout for uuidd. If specified, then uuidd will exit after timeout seconds of inactivity. -t, --time Test uuidd by trying to connect to a running uuidd daemon and request it to return a time-based UUID. -V, --version Output version information and exit. EXAMPLE
Start up a daemon, print 42 random keys, and then stop the daemon. uuidd -p /tmp/uuidd.pid -s /tmp/uuidd.socket uuidd -d -r -n 42 -s /tmp/uuidd.socket uuidd -d -k -s /tmp/uuidd.socket AUTHOR
The uuidd daemon was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. AVAILABILITY
The uuidd daemon is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuidgen(1) util-linux June 2011 UUIDD(8)