Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed - Replacing all date & time occurrences in a file with a string using Sed Post 88944 by Hema_M on Thursday 10th of November 2005 08:56:48 AM
Old 11-10-2005
Help needed - Replacing all date & time occurrences in a file with a string using Sed

Hi,
I am new to using Sed. I have a file containg lines like the following:

INFORM----Test.pc:168:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here..

TRACE-----Test.pc:197:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here..

My requirement is to replace 10/11/05 12:34:26 with a string <RUNDATE> (including < & >).

Can anyone help me how to acheive this using Sed? I need this urgently..

I have tried this:
cat test.result | sed -e 's/[A-Z,a-z,-,_]\.pc[0-9,-,_]/\[A-Z,a-z,-,_]\.pc\<RUNDATE\>/' > test.result.tmp

But, it's not working.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation date & time

Hi All, I have some files which are creates every day using a script. I want to create a log files which does write "filename,creation day and time" how can I do this ?? Alice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting Date&Time Stamp In Existing Log File

I am trying to insert a line with a date stamp in a file that is used to monitor activity in one of our directories. By doing this, I want to grep that file each day and go to the last entry for each time a error occurred and pull all errors generated if any exist. If error exists I want that error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shephardfamily
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem to add the string(without sed & awk) into the middle of file

Hi, I have tried many times to add the string into the first line of the file or the middle of the file but could not find the solution. I first tried by $echo "paki" >> file This code only append paki string at the end of file "file" but how can i add this "paki" into the first line or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Last occurance of &amp; from a string

Hi All, Could anyone help me out in the below requirement: I have a text(XML) file like this: - <Dim2> <Properties Name="" State="2" ShowHir="-1" ApplyFilter="-1" ExpandToLevel="1" BreakHierType="1" MaxDepth="1" SlicerSelectOptions="1" ShowLeaf="0" HasGroup="0" /> <Expanded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivekshady
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to show date/time of file the string was found in.

I've seen several examples of grep showing the filename the string was found in, but what I really need is grep to show the file details in long format (like ls -l would). scenario is: grep mobile_number todays_files This will show me the string I'm after & which files they turn up in, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodstock
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch Time to Standard Date and Time & Vice Versa

Hi guys, I know that this topic has been discuss numerous times, and I have search the net and this forum for it. However, non able to address the problem I faced so far. I am on Solaris Platform and unable to install additional packages like the GNU date and gawk to make use of their... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting date & time from file name

Hi, I am having a file name as exp_bkp_tables_18_Oct_2010_10_50_28.dmp which is used for import the records. Now, I want to print the output using the selected file name as below : Table records will get restored as on date 18-Oct-2010 and time 10:50:28 How it can be done ? With... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter date and time form a file using sed command

I want to filter out the date and time from this line in a file. How to do this using sed command. on Tue Apr 19 00:48:29 2011 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineet.dhingra
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing FQDN by hostnames in a CSV file with sed & awk

Hello, Beginning with shell scipting, I'm trying to find in a csv file, the lines where the field related to hostname is displayed as an FQDN intead the hostname. (some lines are correct) and the to correct that inside the file: Novell,11.0,UNIX Server,bscpsiws02,TxffnX1tX1HiDoyBerrzWA==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wonto
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print & and \n while replacing with sed/awk?

string="din&esh\nisgood" File.txt: the name is sed "s#\#${string}#g" File.txt Output am getting: the name is dinesh is good Expected output: the name is din&esh\nisgood The input string is dynamic it will be keep on changing am able to handle & by placing \& in the string.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
5 Replies
TAP::Parser::Result::Test(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			    TAP::Parser::Result::Test(3pm)

NAME
TAP::Parser::Result::Test - Test result token. VERSION
Version 3.17 DESCRIPTION
This is a subclass of TAP::Parser::Result. A token of this class will be returned if a test line is encountered. 1..1 ok 1 - woo hooo! OVERRIDDEN METHODS
This class is the workhorse of the TAP::Parser system. Most TAP lines will be test lines and if "$result->is_test", then you have a bunch of methods at your disposal. Instance Methods "ok" my $ok = $result->ok; Returns the literal text of the "ok" or "not ok" status. "number" my $test_number = $result->number; Returns the number of the test, even if the original TAP output did not supply that number. "description" my $description = $result->description; Returns the description of the test, if any. This is the portion after the test number but before the directive. "directive" my $directive = $result->directive; Returns either "TODO" or "SKIP" if either directive was present for a test line. "explanation" my $explanation = $result->explanation; If a test had either a "TODO" or "SKIP" directive, this method will return the accompanying explantion, if present. not ok 17 - 'Pigs can fly' # TODO not enough acid For the above line, the explanation is not enough acid. "is_ok" if ( $result->is_ok ) { ... } Returns a boolean value indicating whether or not the test passed. Remember that for TODO tests, the test always passes. If the test is unplanned, this method will always return false. See "is_unplanned". "is_actual_ok" if ( $result->is_actual_ok ) { ... } Returns a boolean value indicating whether or not the test passed, regardless of its TODO status. "actual_passed" Deprecated. Please use "is_actual_ok" instead. "todo_passed" if ( $test->todo_passed ) { # test unexpectedly succeeded } If this is a TODO test and an 'ok' line, this method returns true. Otherwise, it will always return false (regardless of passing status on non-todo tests). This is used to track which tests unexpectedly succeeded. "todo_failed" # deprecated in favor of 'todo_passed'. This method was horribly misnamed. This was a badly misnamed method. It indicates which TODO tests unexpectedly succeeded. Will now issue a warning and call "todo_passed". "has_skip" if ( $result->has_skip ) { ... } Returns a boolean value indicating whether or not this test has a SKIP directive. "has_todo" if ( $result->has_todo ) { ... } Returns a boolean value indicating whether or not this test has a TODO directive. "as_string" print $result->as_string; This method prints the test as a string. It will probably be similar, but not necessarily identical, to the original test line. Directives are capitalized, some whitespace may be trimmed and a test number will be added if it was not present in the original line. If you need the original text of the test line, use the "raw" method. "is_unplanned" if ( $test->is_unplanned ) { ... } $test->is_unplanned(1); If a test number is greater than the number of planned tests, this method will return true. Unplanned tests will always return false for "is_ok", regardless of whether or not the test "has_todo". Note that if tests have a trailing plan, it is not possible to set this property for unplanned tests as we do not know it's unplanned until the plan is reached: print <<'END'; ok 1 ok 2 1..1 END perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 TAP::Parser::Result::Test(3pm)