Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming asynchronous control of threads Post 88863 by Corona688 on Wednesday 9th of November 2005 11:54:07 AM
Old 11-09-2005
Yes, if I was willing to give up transparency and just force everything to run synchronously in regimented lock-step I could get this working, but that would eliminate all parallelism, the whole point of this environment. I'm looking for nontraditional solutions, essentially.

So far, linux has been the BEST environment for this... Solaris occasionally has odd problems with signals, and OSX's pthreads and signals implimentation is so blighted the whole thing just churns itself down into a sticky mass the instant I hit 'enter'. I'm slowly, slowly getting closer to an implimentation that works on all three...

Thanks for the book reccomendation, I'll check it out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Asynchronous I/O

Hello Please help... Asynchronous I/O ~ is it a default or needed to be enable in Solaris OS? (Solaris 8) If needed to be enable, can anyone please show me how? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: april04
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Asynchronous I/O on sockets

Hi there, I wonder if there is a (free) UNIX that support asynchronous I/O on sockets. The Linux 2.6 kernel has supports for aio, but not for socket I/O. Anyone has some UNIX distros with aio for me ? Thx Mad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadCoder
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threads

i am tring to sort lots of data thats in many columns by just one column but, if I use sort +16 inputfile the column fluctuates because some of the rows have spaces etc within the text, so the end result is just a mess as it jumps around the columns depending whether it has spaces or not ....ie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute remote script asynchronous

Does anyone know how to execute remote script asynchronously? Here is my command TargetList=$testmaker/config/prod_domain.list for targethost in `cat $TargetList`; do rsh $targethost -l bvuser "$HOME/var/script-root/afp/bin/run_nrtp_cache_flush.sh $appName" done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asynchronous shell scripts question - newbie

Hi All, I am fairly new to UNIX and very new to this forum too. This is my first post here. Here is my scenario - I have 3 scripts script1, script2 and script3. I want to start script1 and script2 asynchronously. Upon completion of both scripts script1 and script2, i want to fire the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taskeen21
4 Replies

7. AIX

Asynchronous I/O on AIX and DB performance

Hi, I would like to hear your thoughts about this. We are running our Data warehouse on DB2 DPF (partition environment) and I have notice that sometimes we hit the Asynchronous-I/O-Processes peak. DB2 relies heavily on Asynchronous I/O so I would believe this has an negative impact.We are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Asynchronous I/O

Hi Guys, I am running Solaris 10 on T4 sparc server. How do I see if the O/S is using asynchronous I/O or DirectIO? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

9. Programming

Asynchronous communication between master and slave threads

I am writing a process that has a master thread and a set of slave threads. Master thread is supposed to get jobs dynamically and assign to slave thread which is free. Master also get results back from slaves once a job is done. The number of slaves should be adjustable dynamically based on job... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Looking for driver for SunSAI/P 3.0 (Serial Asynchronous Interface) card X2156A

I'm looking for driver for SunSAI/P 3.0 (Serial Asynchronous Interface) card X2156A for Solaris. It used to be on sun-solve, but I fail to find it on the Oracle site. Any help would be very appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ira28
1 Replies
ddi_can_receive_sig(9F) 				   Kernel Functions for Drivers 				   ddi_can_receive_sig(9F)

NAME
ddi_can_receive_sig - Test for ability to receive signals SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> boolean_t ddi_can_receive_sig(void); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
None. DESCRIPTION
The ddi_can_receive_sig() function returns a boolean value indicating whether the current thread can receive signals sent by kill(2). If the return value is B_FALSE, then the calling thread cannot receive signals, and any call to qwait_sig(9F), cv_wait_sig(9F), or cv_timedwait_sig(9F) implicitly becomes qwait(9F), cv_wait(9F), or cv_timedwait(9F), respectively. Drivers that can block indefinitely awaiting an event should use this function to determine if additional means (such as timeout(9F)) may be necessary to avoid creating unkil- lable threads. RETURN VALUES
B_FALSE The calling thread is in a state in which signals cannot be received. For example, the thread is not associated with a user process or is in the midst of exit(2) handling. B_TRUE The calling thread may receive a signal while blocked on a condition variable. Note that this function does not check to determine whether signals are blocked (see sigprocmask(2)). CONTEXT
The ddi_can_receive_sig() function may be called from user, kernel, or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
close(9E), cv_wait(9F), qwait(9F) SunOS 5.11 15 Dec 2003 ddi_can_receive_sig(9F)