Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: add timestamp to filename
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add timestamp to filename Post 88752 by walterja on Tuesday 8th of November 2005 12:14:40 PM
Old 11-08-2005
so would this code append the date to the filename extension?

cat export.current.prn export.prn > export.new.'date'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add a timestamp to a filename?

whats going on guys. below is a script i made and am just curious if there is a "time stamp" command. so i can set the timestamp in a filename. #! /bin/ksh # # This scripts takes a list of files in the INDIR variable and compairs it to a list of files that are open in the same directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a filename modified by attaching modified timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a filename in AIX by attaching the last modified timestamp. I want the timestamp completely in numerical format (eg:200905081210. yr-2009, mnth - 05, date -08, hr - 12, mins - 10). For example if the filename is a.log and it was modified on April 6th 2008 at 21.00. I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruks
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp in the filename

Hi i want to replace the previous time stamp with the current timsatp at the start of the file like 20090710_113354_FT0710a.txt this one to 20091111__113354_FT0710a.txt thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract timestamp from the filename?

Hi., My file name is of the format: name_abc_20100531_142528.txt where., my timestamp is of the format: yyyymmdd_hhmmss How to extract the date strring and time string into seperate variables in the shell script, after reading the file as the input? I want to get the variables... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove timestamp from multiple filename

could you pls help me out in PERL i have a requirement like a.dat.<timestamp> b.dat.<timestamp> c.dat.<timestamp> can you pls help me to rename/remove timestamp a.dat b.dat c.dat Is there any way to remove timestamp alone Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaas
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from filename and set timestamp

I have lots of files in this format: dvgrab-2003.06.29_15-30-24.mpg The numbers represents the date and time (YYYY.MM.DD_HH-MM-SS) How can I extract the dates from the filenames, and use the dates in the file timestamp? I guess this can be done by using "find", "sed" and "touch"? Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwerty1234
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get filename with size and timestamp

Hi, Below is a directory containing links new2,list,new1. I need to get the size and timestamp for them. How do i get these details. Please help lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 11 Nov 24 17:34 new2 -> ./org1/new2 lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 11 Nov 24 17:34 list -> ./org2/list lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename timestamp

Hi Gurus, I have different files with different timestamp and different base file name, I have to group those files based on basename and provide a unique file name for similar file names. My Directory has following files. abc_filename_20130623:00:09:00.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_linux
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort the timestamp in the filename in shell script?

originally the shellscript #ln_file_name=`echo $ld_interface_date"_"${8}".csv"` #ln_file_name=`echo 201202011527_HL_HLTM1_B04A.csv` ln_file_name="*"`echo ${7}".csv"` get_file_list_1=$log_path"tm1_file_list.gfl1" cd ${source_path} echo "Try to find any file exist in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilhk
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i make my cron/script to generate a log filename with timestamp in it ?

Hello Friends, I would like my script to display date timestamps in the file name for every script execution. Below is the scenario: (just for testing purpose) I scheduled a cron job, lets say it runs every 5 min and record/logs output in to a log file. 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
MKMANIFEST(1)						      General Commands Manual						     MKMANIFEST(1)

NAME
mkmanifest - create a shell script to restore Unix filenames SYNOPSIS
mkmanifest [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Mkmanifest creates a shell script that will aid in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the MSDOS filename restrictions. MSDOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters. The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MSDOS restrictions. EXAMPLE
I want to copy the following Unix files to a MSDOS diskette (using the mcopy command). very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital Mcopy will convert the names to: very_lon 2xmany.dot illegalx good.c xprn.dev capital The command: mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital > manifest would produce the following: mv very_lon very_long_name mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots mv illegalx illegal: mv xprn.dev prn.dev mv capital Capital Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output. Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original names. If the file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames. SEE ALSO
arc(1), pcomm(1), mtools(1) local MKMANIFEST(1)