Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: update executable file
Top Forums Programming update executable file Post 8869 by rwb1959 on Thursday 18th of October 2001 08:49:29 PM
Old 10-18-2001
You cannot overwrite a running executable.
You will trash the running program.

You could compile your C code...
gcc myfile.c

...then...
mv a.out newprog

...then run...
newprog

...then edit and compile your C code...
gcc myfile.c

...a.out will be created without trashing
the running program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file

Hi, I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balaji
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file with executable permission

Hi All, How can we execute a Unix file (shell script), which had given "Execute" permission using chmod +x file1 If i want to execute that file. prompt>./file1 Hello How can i make the file permission or something else. such that i can execute it using prompt>file1 Hello Note :... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anent
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating executable for every C file

hello Folks, once we compile any C code on Linux, we run the code using "./a.out".. but can we have an executable for every program so that we can run the code directly without compiling the code every time. just run the executable and get the output! Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executable file

Hi everybody: I have strange problem. I have compiled a source code and created an executable file. This file I can use it into my PC, but when I copy this executable to my laptop this one doesn't work and the system tell me: bash: ./sbdart_unix: cannot execute binary file Somebody can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
3 Replies

5. Programming

Running an executable file

I've created a c program and compiled it with gcc, in unix. The file name is abc.c and it is run by typing the command ./abc I have another program which creates a child process, and I need this abc program to run on that child process. I've tried execvp(), but it doesn't work. How can I run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdsd
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

The binary file is ELF-64 executable object file - IA64. How i know that the source is Is there any comamnd in unix i can read these kind of files or use a thirty party software? Thanks for your help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executable file

Hi, I want to know that how can i read the content of a .exe file?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
1 Replies

8. Programming

Executable file in C

Hi all, I have modified a C file and executed it. While executing the executable file for that C file, it shows à is cannot be printed. I have given isprint(à) to test it. When I copy the old executable file and execute it it shows it can be printed. Then I retain the C code back and executed it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix executable file

Hi - How can I find out under sh whitch file is an unix executable file? Need it for an software inventory. Thanks in advance. Regards - Lazybaer (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making file executable

Hi guys, i'm trying to make a file called 'run-all-tests' executable but it is not letting me for some reason. I am presented with the following error: chmod: cannot access `./run-tests': No such file or directory Basically i have a folder called ex3 and within that there are task folders:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shyamz1
11 Replies
caca-config(1)						      General Commands Manual						    caca-config(1)

NAME
caca-config - script to get information about the installed version of libcaca SYNOPSIS
caca-config [ --prefix= DIR] [ --exec-prefix= DIR] [ --version ] [ --libs ] [ --cflags ] DESCRIPTION
caca-config is a tool that is used to configure and determine the compiler and linker flags that should be used to compile and link progams, libraries, and plugins that use libcaca. The use of caca-config is deprecated. The more generic tool pkg-config should be used instead. OPTIONS
--cflags Print the compiler flags that are necessary to compile a program or library that uses libcaca. --exec-prefix=DIR If specified, use DIR instead of the installation exec prefix that libcaca was build with when computing the output for the --cflags and --libs options. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags and --libs options. --libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link a program or library that uses libcaca. --prefix=DIR If specified, use PREFIX instead of the installation prefix that libcaca was built with when computing the output for the --cflags and --libs options. This option is also used for the exec prefix if --exec-prefix was not specified. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags and --libs options. --version Prints the currently installed version of libcaca on standard output. EXAMPLES
gcc -o main.o $(caca-config --cflags) -c main.c is how you might use caca-config to compile a C source file for an executable program. gcc -o my_app $(caca-config --libs) main.o util.o is how you might use caca-config to link compiled objects into an executable program. SEE ALSO
pkg-config(1) AUTHOR
The libcaca library was written by Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>. This manual page was written for sdl-config by Branden Robinson, originally for Progeny Linux Systems, Inc., and the Debian Project. It was adapted to libcaca by Sam Hocevar. libcaca 2003-11-22 caca-config(1)