Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing Argument to Function
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing Argument to Function Post 8866 by sskb on Thursday 18th of October 2001 06:24:35 PM
Old 10-18-2001
CPU & Memory

in case i do not know the exact number of arguments, what should i do?
in the sense, like @argv in perl...
Smilie
sskb

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing more than one argument in a function

Hi All, Calling a function with one argument and storing the return value in a shell script is as below:( so far I know) value="`fun_1 "argument1"`" Its working perfectly for me. Can u help me with passing more than one argument and storing the return value Thnaks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing Argument

Hi All, i have script like below.. echo "1) first option" echo "" echo "2) second option" echo "" echo "*) please enter the correct option" read select case $select in 1) echo "first option selected" ;; 2) echo "second option selected" ;; *) echo "please enter the correct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing commandline argument to a function

Hi, I have 2 ksh scripts. Script1.ksh contains function definition. script1.ksh function f1() { while getopts a:c: args do case $args in a) ARG1=$OPTARG ;; c) ARG2=$OPTARG ;; \?) echo "Error no valid Arguments passed" esac done echo $ARG1 echo $ARG2 script2.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass function as argument to a function

I have the following code : function1 () { print "January" } function2() { case $1 in January) print "Dzisiaj mamy styczen" ;; *) ;; } main() { (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from one function to another

Hi all, In the given script code . I want to pass the maximum value that variable "i" will have in function DivideJobs () to variable $max of function SubmitCondorJob(). Any help? Thanks #!/bin/bash ... (55 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
55 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing argument

Hi, I have a script that is scheduled with cron and runs every night. The cron part looks like this: 00 20 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 /usr/local/bin/BACKUP TBTARM HOT DELETE My issue is with the 3rd parameter. Somewhere in the script, i want to tell the script to delete some files if the 3rd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument passing

How to pass the alphabet character as a argument in case and in if block? ex: c=$1 if a-z ]] then echo "alphabet" case $1 in a-z) echo "the value is a alphabet" edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags. We REALLY mean it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
9 Replies

9. Programming

Parameter passing to function with void * as Argument

Earlier I had one structure C typedef struct c { int cc; }CS; I used to call a library function say int GetData(CS *x) which was returning me the above structure C with data. GetData(CS *x) Function call used to be like: CS CSobj; GetData(&CSObj); Now there are two... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a second argument

I am trying to pass a second argument like so: if ] then export ARG2=$2 else message "Second argument not specified: USAGE - $PROGRAM_NAME ARG1 ARG2" checkerror -e 2 -m "Please specify if it is a history or weekly (H or W) extract in the 2nd argument" fi however, it always goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies
GETFLAGS(9.2)															     GETFLAGS(9.2)

NAME
getflags, usage - process flag arguments in argv SYNOPSIS
#include <libg.h> #include <fb.h> int getflags(int argc, char *argv[], char *flags) int usage(char *tail) extern char **flag[], cmdline[], *cmdname, *flagset[]; DESCRIPTION
Getflags digests an argument vector argv, finding flag arguments listed in flags. Flags is a string of flag letters. A letter followed by a colon and a number is expected to have the given number of parameters. A flag argument starts with `-' and is followed by any number of flag letters. A flag with one or more parameters must be the last flag in an argument. If any characters follow it, they are the flag's first parameter. Otherwise the following argument is the first parameter. Subsequent parameters are taken from subsequent arguments. The global array flag is set to point to an array of parameters for each flag found. Thus, if flag -x was seen, flag['x'] is non-zero, and flag['x'][i] is the flag's ith parameter. If flag -x has no parameters flag['x']==flagset. Flags not found are marked with a zero. Flags and their parameters are deleted from argv. Getflags returns the adjusted argument count. Getflags stops scanning for flags upon encountering a non-flag argument, or the argument --, which is deleted. Getflags places a pointer to argv[0] in the external variable cmdname. It also concatenates the original members of argv, separated by spaces, and places the result in the external array cmdline. Usage constructs a usage message, prints it on the standard error file, and exits with status 1. The command name printed is argv[0]. Appropriate flag usage syntax is generated from flags. As an aid, explanatory information about flag parameters may be included in flags in square brackets as in the example. Tail is printed at the end of the message. If getflags encountered an error, usage tries to indi- cate the cause. EXAMPLES
main(int argc, char *argv[]){ if((argc=getflags(argc, argv, "vinclbhse:1[expr]", 1))==-1) usage("[file ...]"); } might print: Illegal flag -u Usage: grep [-vinclbhs] [-e expr] [file ...] SOURCE
/sys/src/libfb/getflags.c SEE ALSO
ARG(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Getflags returns -1 on error: a syntax error in flags, setting a flag more than once, setting a flag not mentioned in flags, or running out of arguments while collecting a flag's parameters. GETFLAGS(9.2)