Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Role of AI in any OS
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Role of AI in any OS Post 88492 by Neo on Friday 4th of November 2005 09:26:14 PM
Old 11-04-2005
Mainly we don't have the computing/processing power, according to the literature. There are plenty of graphs on the net which show the prediction of when computers will have processing power that is similar to other life forms.

To date, we are still at the "earthworm" level, and AI reduces to procedural knowledge in expert systems, not true AI.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX starter role?

This may not be the right forum to put up a question like the one I'm about to ask. I am hoping that I would get very fruitful responses. i) I have been learning UNIX for sometime now, but my question is realistically what do I need to be able to be able to apply for UNIX jobs. What sort of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: B_Jay
6 Replies

2. AIX

role based user

Hi .. I need to assign role based permission to users... How to assign role based permission in aix... Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
4 Replies

3. Linux

What's role of swap in initrd?

Hello, I want to know why initrd need swap for work. In the shell of mkinitrd, it look for the swap partation for "swsuspdev", then write a sentence "resume /dev/sdXX" in the file init from initrd.gz, and the /dev/sdXX is the swap partation. Why initrd need swap when it boot a system? what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZR_Lang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Role Name for my type of work

Hi , I am planning for the interview . I am having one question here , I worked on unix and shellscripting for 2 years Done- Ø Coding and testing of Server Monitoring ShellScripts Ø Deployment on UNIX production environment I have written so many shellscripts for monitoring... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Role not executing command

Hello Guys, I am studying RBAC. So I create a role called sysadm and gave it the "shutdown" profile. Now when I switch to that role, and execute the shutdown command $ shutdown -y -g0 -i5 The system responds with : shutdown: not found Can anyone help me with this please?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux System Administrator for a role in CH

Hi guys I hope I will not break any rules and guidelines on the forum with this post. I am Admir, working as a recruiter for execIT Recruitment Zurich, Switzerland. Our client is an urgent need of a linux system administrator/support analyst who has trading floor experience and is eligible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BosAd
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Ssh to role

Hi all I need to run a command that only a role user and root can run, I need to run that command remotely by script but the roles ask for a password. Ex. from serverA with userA to serverB with userB: userA can ssh serverB using userB without askink for a password. ssh userB@serverB... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanramos100
3 Replies
power(9E)							Driver Entry Points							 power(9E)

NAME
power - power a device attached to the system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int prefixpower(dev_info_t *dip, int component, int level); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). This entry point is required. If the driver writer does not supply this entry point, the value NULL must be used in the cb_ops(9S) structure instead. PARAMETERS
dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. component Component of the driver to be managed. level Desired component power level. DESCRIPTION
The power(9E) function is the device-specific Power Management entry point. This function is called when the system wants the driver to set the power level of component to level. The level argument is the driver-defined power level to which the component needs to be set. Except for power level 0, which is inter- preted by the framework to mean "powered off," the interpretation of level is entirely up to the driver. The component argument is the component of the device to be power-managed. The interpretation of component is entirely up to the driver. When a requested power transition would cause the device to lose state, the driver must save the state of the device in memory. When a requested power transition requires state to be restored, the driver must restore that state. If a requested power transition for one component requires another component to change power state before it can be completed, the driver must call pm_raise_power(9F) to get the other component changed, and the power(9E) entry point must support being re-entered. If the system requests an inappropriate power transition for the device (for example, a request to power down a device which has just become busy), then the power level should not be changed and power should return DDI_FAILURE. RETURN VALUES
The power() function returns: DDI_SUCCESS Successfully set the power to the requested level. DDI_FAILURE Failed to set the power to the requested level. CONTEXT
The power() function is called from user or kernel context only. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attach(9E), detach(9E), pm_busy_component(9F), pm_idle_component(9F), pm_raise_power(9F), cb_ops(9S) Writing Device Drivers Using Power Management SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2003 power(9E)