Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Proxies (Best?)
Special Forums Cybersecurity Proxies (Best?) Post 88405 by deckard on Thursday 3rd of November 2005 04:45:25 PM
Old 11-03-2005
Proxies (Best?)

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, would an administrator please move it? Thanks.

I've got a situation where we are using iPlanet proxy server to allow some of our web browsers to ONLY go to certain sites on an "approved" list. If they try to go to sites that aren't on the list, they get a message stating that they are at a limited workstation. This would be great overall if the iPlanet proxy (running on Win2K) wasn't so flakey. The performance seems poor because our clients complain about pages not loading completely or at all at times. I've been looking at Freshmeat.net for a decent open source/free software replacement. But there are quite a few proxies and they all seem to have different focuses.

What I need is just an HTTP proxy that will allow me to maintain a list of approved sites. Ideally, it should have a web interface for managing the approved sites since I'm not really the maintainer, a non-technical person is. And finally, the list should work with regular expressions so that wildcards can be used to allow people access to subparts of the approved sites. If possible, we really DON'T want stuff caching on disk because we can't afford to be legally viewed as a "content provider". Since the definition of that is pretty nebulous it makes the non-caching feature pretty important. Anyone know of anything like that?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix program that can port scan a c block of ips for proxies

can anyone tell me a unix program that can port scan a c block of ips for proxies? a fast one, with reliable results, that can load an ip list, or set an ip range, and specify ports thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user
1 Replies

2. Web Development

Apache2 reverse proxies implementation

Hi all, I hope someone here could shine a light on an issue that I am having with apache2. I have 2 servers with apache2 on each, which are on the same network with one router. I have implemented what I have seen on guides on the net on the landing server such as 'Apache2 reverse proxies'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nodrama
1 Replies
A2ENSITE(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  A2ENSITE(8)

NAME
a2ensite, a2dissite - enable or disable an apache2 site / virtual host SYNOPSIS
a2ensite [ [-q|--quiet] site] a2dissite [ [-q|--quiet] site] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the a2ensite and a2dissite commands. a2ensite is a script that enables the specified site (which contains a <VirtualHost> block) within the apache2 configuration. It does this by creating symlinks within /etc/apache2/sites-enabled. Likewise, a2dissite disables a site by removing those symlinks. It is not an error to enable a site which is already enabled, or to disable one which is already disabled. Apache treats the very first virtual host enabled specially as every request not matching any actual directive is being redirected there. Thus it should be called 000-default in order to sort before the remaining hosts to be loaded first. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Don't show informative messages. -m, --maintmode Enables the maintainer mode, that is the program invocation is effectuated automatically by a maintainer script. This switch should not be used by end users. -p, --purge When disabling a module, purge all traces of the module in the internal state data base. EXIT STATUS
a2ensite and a2dissite exit with status 0 if all sites are processed successfully, 1 if errors occur, 2 if an invalid option was used. EXAMPLES
a2dissite 000-default Disables the default site. FILES
/etc/apache2/sites-available Directory with files giving information on available sites. /etc/apache2/sites-enabled Directory with links to the files in sites-available for enabled sites. SEE ALSO
apache2ctl(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Stefan Fritsch <sf@debian.org> (based on the a2enmod manual page by Daniel Stone <daniel@sfarc.net>) for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. 8 June 2007 A2ENSITE(8)