Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with back up please
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users help with back up please Post 8840 by Perderabo on Thursday 18th of October 2001 11:19:44 AM
Old 10-18-2001
We better go back a review filesystems here. When most kernels boot they initialize the system by automatically mounting root and they fire up init and a few other processes. At this point, the only thing mounted is root:
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 1987399 935141 992637 49% /
If you are going into single user mode, it stops here and that is all you see. If you examined /var or /usr you would only have empty directiores since they are not yet mounted. All of the subdirecties and files that we do see are on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0.

But we have another disk device called c0t0d0s3 which we can now mount on /var. Once we do that we suddenly see /var/spool spring into existence. But /var/spool is on c0t0d0s3 while /etc/mail is on c0t0d0s0. They may seem to equally situated in some respects, but the difference is important.

Most people also will have a separate /usr filesystem. Looking again, I see that you don't. So I misspoke earlier when I said that you also needed /usr. In your case, you don't. You could possibly configure your system to only have one very large root filesystem...if you did, one ufsdump would do it all.

When you tell ufsdump to save a copy of c0t0d0s0, that is what it does. Sure it will pick up the /var empty directory that root uses as a mount point, but nothing under /var will be there. That's why we need another run of ufsdump to also save a copy of c0t0d0s3.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Help about back up

Hi this is Ramana.sv new to this group, please help me about my question, i am using HP-UX11.11i with oracle 10G this server is in india and i have another server in US with same HP-UX with oracle10G, what i want is i want to rename the local database in local HP server and copy the database from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcseramana
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

back up

hi all i need to transfer files from one server to another,but i have to make up a backup with a datestamp on the destination server beore i move the new files from the source to the destination server. example source server destination server a.sun a.sun b.sun ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkan77
0 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

I'm back

Hi all, I used to post here years ago, and was a moderator, my old username: zazzybob. Anyway, after a few years away focusing on my career, I'm back and keener than ever to get involved in the unix.com community again. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things, helping... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokiwinter
11 Replies
fdmns(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fdmns(4)

NAME
fdmns - contains file domain names and devices DESCRIPTION
The fdmns directory ensures access to file domains by providing symbolic links to every volume in the file domain. The mkfdmn, rmvol, and addvol utilities automatically manage the fdmns directory. Each file domain is described by its own subdirectory within the fdmns direc- tory. Back up the fdmns directory structure regularly using the vdump utility or any other backup utility (dump, tar, cpio). If the contents of the fdmns directory are deleted or corrupted, restore the directory from your most recent backup tape. You must also restore the fdmns directory after installing a new version of the operating system. Always keep a hardcopy record of each file domain and its associated volumes in case a backup copy of the fdmns directory is unavailable. If you have a record, you can reconstruct the fdmns directory structure. The following is a sample fdmns directory: total 2 drwxr-x--- 2 root system 512 Nov 24 18:35 scratch/ drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 512 Nov 24 18:35 usr/ ./scratch: total 0 lrwxr-x--- 1 root system 10 Oct 23 15:13 dsk10c@ -> /dev/disk/dsk10c lrwxr-x--- 1 root system 10 Oct 24 11:33 dsk11c@ -> /dev/disk/dsk11c lrwxr-x--- 1 root system 9 Oct 13 18:29 dsk8c@ -> /dev/disk/dsk8c ./usr: total 0 lrwxr-x--- 1 root system 9 Oct 24 10:52 dsk2g@ -> /dev/disk/dsk2c lrwxr-x--- 1 root system 9 Nov 24 10:35 dsk9c@ -> /dev/disk/dsk9c RESTRICTIONS
Do not remove or modify the contents of this directory. If the fdmns file becomes corrupted, you can no longer access (or mount) any file- set in the file domains. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), vdump(8), mkfdmn(8), vrestore(8), showfdmn(8) fdmns(4)