Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Configuring networking interfaces on Solaris 10 Post 88275 by annointed3 on Wednesday 2nd of November 2005 02:33:37 PM
Old 11-02-2005
Hi,

I have followed the instruction in the "Configuring Networking" Guide for Solarix x86 (By the way, this was a great guide), but I still can't get my two machines to talk. I have a Solaris 10 (Intel box) and a Windows XP box. I connected a cross over cable and tried to ping the other box, but they can't see each other. The network configuration is below:

Solaris 10 (Intel)
Ip address 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0 default gateway 10.0.0.1

Win XP
Ip address 10.0.0.3 netmask 255.0.0.0 default gateway 10.0.0.1

I know the crossover cable works, because if I hook up 2 windows boxes, the 2 can ping each other. I don't understand why my Solaris box cannot ping my Win XP box. Any ideas what may be wrong

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

networking between two solaris workstations

I am trying to network two solaris workstations(ultra sparc 5) at home. what shoud I use to build the one of workstations as a http and ftp server and to network with the other workstation? (please explain to me in detail.. what kind of software or equipment do I need..) Thanks John (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jung1975
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding interfaces in solaris 9

Hi, Have a solaris 9 e420, one onboard nic. Now I added a quad nic card. I have never had more than a single interface. Any help on setting this new card up? or links? PLease? ; thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring networking interface on Sun Blade 1500

Hi, I am attempting to configure my ethernet interface on a Sun Blade 1500. I am testing out my network interface my connecting a crossover cable from my blade to a windows box. I would like to assign an ip address of 10.0.0.2 to "bge0" and netmask of "255.0.0.0". I have typed the following: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annointed3
1 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris networking

may i know what is the command for configure new ip, subnet mask and gateway ?? thanks .. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farbegas
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 Networking

I have just installed Solaris 10 for x86. The install seemed to have worked fine, and I have configured my hostname and am able to login and do whatever. However, networking does not seem to have been installed. I have a router which assigns ip address via DHCP. I would have thought Solaris would... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

Solaris Networking - help

Hi all Right, i need to admit Im c4p on networking. I hate it, always have, always will. Here's my problem Ive got 3 hosts. A B and C. I need to directly contact host C from host A, but at the moment I have to ssh on to B, to then ssh on to C. so, I need to set up host b, to forward... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris networking

Hi, I have installed two solaris boxes in an VM. First box is 10-1 Has two interfaces and in connected briged to the lan an d connected internal to an virtual lan. Second box is 10-2 Has one interface. Now what I wanted to do is a setup so that 10-2 connects through 10-1 to the lan.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network

Hello, I have a machine with Solaris 8, and it has multiple interfaces that are connected to the same network which means they all have metric 0 (1 hop) to the default gateway. assume: * e1000g0: 10.1.1.70 * e1000g2: 10.1.1.72 * e1000g4: 10.1.1.74 * e1000g5: 10.1.1.76 * gateway:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeg
11 Replies

9. Solaris

Configuring network interfaces in Solaris11

Hi all, Just istalled Solaris 11. Want to configure network interfaces and got some problems: #dladm show-phys # #dladm show-link # If i run ifconfig -a, i am getting 2 lo0 (loopback) interfaces and thats all. I can't enable interface, can't list it, can't assign IP to it. Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
2 Replies
VLAN-INTERFACES(5)						   File formats 						VLAN-INTERFACES(5)

NAME
/etc/network/interfaces (vlan) - vlan extensions for the interfaces(5) file format DESCRIPTION
/etc/network/interfaces contains network interface configuration information for the ifup(8) and ifdown(8) commands. This manpage describes the vlan extensions to the standard interfaces(5) file format. Primary extensions exist to make and destroy vlan interfaces, secondary extensions exist for ipv4 interface manipulation which are gener- ally needed when using (a lot of) vlans. VLAN CREATION
Vlan interface definitions exist of the vlan interface name, and an optional 'raw-device' parameter. Vlan interfaces are numbered 1 to 4095. You have the option to have interface names zero-padded to 4 numbers, or just the plain digits without leading zero. The following example shows four ways to create a vlan with id 1 on interface eth0. They all result in different names. iface eth0.1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan1 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface eth0.0001 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan0001 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # We don't have br support out of the box iface br0.2 inet static vlan-raw-device br0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # Aliases are ignored iface br0.2:1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 EXTRA IFACE OPTIONS
Usually someone who uses vlans also wants to do some other manipulations with the ip stack or interface. vlan-raw-device devicename Indicates the device to create the vlan on. This is ignored when the devicename is part of the vlan interface name. ip-proxy-arp 0|1 Turn proxy-arp off or on for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. ip-rp-filter 0|1|2 Set the return path filter for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. hw-mac-address mac-address This sets the mac address of the interface before bringing it up. This works on any device that allows setting the hardware address with the ip command. AUTHOR
This manpage was adapted from interfaces(5) by Ard van Breemen <ard@kwaak.net> SEE ALSO
vconfig(8) interfaces(5) vlan September 30 2007 VLAN-INTERFACES(5)