Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users CDROM Doesn't Auto Mount - Solaris 9 Post 88257 by RTM on Wednesday 2nd of November 2005 12:49:05 PM
Old 11-02-2005
Stop and restart vold. Check /var/adm/messages for errors. Check /etc/vold.conf.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i mount a scsi extrnal cdrom on solaris 2?

ok i have had it i need help i am in 11th grade and i cant figure how to mount the dumb cdrom on the sparcstation 2. i have tried everything i know and it still doesnt see it. by the way this is for school so please help me. Jon aka wixifer (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wixifer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount cdrom

I have an external cdrom drive, which am tring to mount. I issued the following mkdir cdrom to create a mount point then mount -F cdfs /dev/dsk/c0t4d0s7 /cdrom but this is unsuccessful instead received an error message mount point not found can you help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount cdrom

Info: Alpha Server ES40, True64 Unix 4.0F Symptom: root#file /dev/rrz*c root#. . /dev/rrz24c: character special (8/49154) EIDE #3 CDR-8435 disk #192 (scsi ID #0) (SCSI LUN #0) offline root#mount -r /dev/rz24c /mnt root#/dev/rz24c on /mnt: I/O error pls help me, i don't know if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: q30
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stop cdrom from auto-mounting

Somebody loaded RH 7.3 for me on my PC & now I'm running through & configuring all my settings. Question: Every time I insert a CD into the cdrom, it automatically mounts the cdrom if there's anything on the CD. How do I disable this? I don't want it to automount. Thanks in advance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SF V210 CDROM drive auto eject!

Hi, When I insert a cd to CDROM drive in SF V210 Solaris 10 it took seconds then eject it auto! How can I solve this issue? Thanks Regards :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HishamN
8 Replies

6. SCO

cdrom will not mount

I am trying to mount my a cd in my SCO 5.0.7 box and keep getting this: Alessandra! -->#mount -r /dev/cd0 /mnt mount: cannot stat '/dev/cd0' Alessandra! -->hwconfig name=kernel vec=- dma=- rel=3.2v5.0.7 kid=2003-02-18 name=cpu vec=- dma=- unit=1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't mount cdrom

Hi there I am trying to mount a cdrom using: mount /cdrom and I get the error: mount: mount point cannot be determined If I try the command mount cdrom /cdrom nfs mount: nfs file system; use path I tried running mountall and mountall -F NFS but to no avail (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niamh
3 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris 10 errors mount external usb Harddisk zfs on a nas without cdrom

Hi, I try to mount an external USB HD on a solaris 10 without any success. Machine hardware: i86pc OS version: 5.10 Processor type: i386 Hardware: i86pc The HD is a zfs, but I installed this with a Ubuntu 8.10. iostat -En displays this: --> so the system... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: edubidu
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Mount command doesn't work on Solaris System

Hi All, I am using a solaris Sun-Fire-V440 server. The OS is solaris. My problem is whenever I run the command mount | grep "^/ " | sed -e 's,^.*dsk/\(*\).*$,\1,' it should return a disk value as "d30" as it does on each of my other servers.But on this server I am not getting any o/p from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
3 Replies

10. Solaris

auto mount SMB share on Solaris 10

I CANNOT use autmounter so should I just write the command as an /etc/rc script or is it possible to auto mount the share via the vfstab? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
4 Replies
vold(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  vold(1M)

NAME
vold - Volume Management daemon to manage removable media devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/vold [-n] [-t] [-v] [-f config-file] [-l log-file] [-d root-dir] [-L debug-level] DESCRIPTION
The Volume Management daemon, vold, creates and maintains a file system image rooted at root-dir that contains symbolic names for removable media devices. These devices include CD-ROMs, floppies, DVDs, and USB 1394 devices. The default root-dir is set to /vol if no directory is specified by the -d option. vold reads the /etc/vold.conf configuration file upon startup. If the configuration file is modified later, vold must be told to reread the /etc/vold.conf file. Do this by entering: example# kill -HUP vold_pid To tell vold to clean up and exit, the SIGTERM signal is used: example# kill -TERM vold_pid where vold_pid is the process ID of vold. A disk storage device can not be removed or inserted while vold is active. To remove or insert a removeable mass storage device such as a USB memory stick, first stop the daemon by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt stop. After the device has been removed or inserted, restart the daemon by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt start. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Never writeback. Volume Management updates media labels with unique information if labels are not unique. This flag keeps Volume Management from changing your media. The default setting is FALSE. -t Dump NFS trace information to the log file. The default setting is FALSE. -v Provide lots of status information to the log file. The default setting is FALSE (do not provide status info to log file). -d root-dir Specify an alternate root directory. The default location is /vol. Setting this will also cause other Volume Management utilities to use this as the default root directory. -fconfig-file Specify an alternate configuration file. The default file is /etc/vold.conf. -llog-file Specify an alternate log file. The default log file is /var/adm/vold.log. -Ldebug-level Change the level (verbosity) of debug messages sent to the log file. The range is 0 to 99 where 0 is nothing and 99 is everything. The default level is 0. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
vold sets the following environment variables to aid programs which are called when events such as insert, notify, and eject occur: VOLUME_ACTION Event that caused this program to be executed. VOLUME_PATH Pathname of the matched regex from the vold.conf file. VOLUME_DEVICE Device (in /vol/dev) that applies to the media. VOLUME_NAME Name of the volume in question. VOLUME_USER User ID of the user causing the event to occur. VOLUME_SYMNAME Symbolic name of a device containing the volume. VOLUME_MEDIATYPE Name of the type of media (CD-ROM, floppy or rmdisk) FILES
/etc/vold.conf Volume Management daemon configuration file. Directs the Volume Management daemon to control certain devices, and causes events to occur when specific criteria are met. /usr/lib/vold/*.so.1 Shared objects called by Volume Management daemon when certain actions occur. /var/adm/vold.log the default log file location (see the -l option for a description). /vol the default Volume Management root directory. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1), rmmount(1M), rpc.smserverd(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 13 Sept 2004 vold(1M)