Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Placing a IP ban
Special Forums Cybersecurity Placing a IP ban Post 8822 by LivinFree on Thursday 18th of October 2001 07:48:14 AM
Old 10-18-2001
If you are using inetd to launch your tcpd processes, you can use the /etc/hosts.deny file.

The question is though, if the person shouldn't be able to log in, why not disable the account? Most likely he either has now or could easily get a dial-up account where the IP changes. That won't be easy to keep up with...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Placing lines file in array

Hiya I am fairly new to UNIX and have been asked to write some scripts.... I am working in the korn shell. What I am trying to do is to go through a delimited file: Testingline1;test;test Testingline2;test;test and place the lines into an Array so: Array = Testingline1;test;test Array... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasvdH
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Placing a config file

Hi all, I need to place a custom configuration file for a script/program that will likely be sitting in /usr/sbin, but I am unsure of exactly where to place it. In RHEL was told the config file should be in /etc/sysconfig, but no such directory exists in Solaris. Will my config file simply sit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocket2DMn
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Placing a comment at the beginning of a line

Hello - I am running Linux. I want to place a comment char at the beginning of a line in a file. For example: testvar=`grep username /etc/people sed -e 's/$testvar/#$testvar/g' /etc/people I cannot get the above commands to put a comment at the beginning of the line. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlike
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Invalid configuration for instance svc:/application/x11/xvnc-inetd:default, placing i

I am not able to connect Solaris 10 through X Manager from Windows machine. I found the below errors in Solaris 10 , can anybody check the errors and please help me. Property 'name' of instance svc:/application/x11/xvnc-inetd:default is missing, inconsistent or invalid Property... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening mulitple different videos with mplayer and placing them in x,y coordinates?

howdy. can you place mplayer windows on the screen anywhere? i would like to open four movie files from command line and make them show up on screen like this ----- ----- | 1 | | 2 | ----- ----- | 3 | | 4 | ----- ----- hopefully my ascii representation makes some sense. and i would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

placing a string

Hi, I have a small requriement to change a part of string in a sentence starting with "ho". For E.g I am having the following statements: I want to go to home,beach. I will never go to that horrible,place. Now I want to replace the string starting with "ho" in the above 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Placing Duplicate Lines per section into another file

Hello, I need help in putting duplicate lines within a section into another file. Here is what I'm struggling with: Using this file “data.txt”: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync in bash script doesn't work even after placing pub key in target server

Hello Friends, My bash script is like this #!/bin/bash # request Bourne shell as shell for job #$ -S /bin/bash # assume current working directory as paths #$ -cwd #$ -N rsync-copy # # print date and time date rsync -rltD --progress "ssh -i /home/myname/.ssh/id_rsa"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies
TCPDCHK(8)						      System Manager's Manual							TCPDCHK(8)

NAME
tcpdchk - tcp wrapper configuration checker SYNOPSIS
tcpdchk [-a] [-d] [-i inet_conf] [-v] DESCRIPTION
tcpdchk examines your tcp wrapper configuration and reports all potential and real problems it can find. The program examines the tcpd access control files (by default, these are /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny), and compares the entries in these files against entries in the inetd or tlid network configuration files. tcpdchk reports problems such as non-existent pathnames; services that appear in tcpd access control rules, but are not controlled by tcpd; services that should not be wrapped; non-existent host names or non-internet address forms; occurrences of host aliases instead of official host names; hosts with a name/address conflict; inappropriate use of wildcard patterns; inappropriate use of NIS netgroups or references to non-existent NIS netgroups; references to non-existent options; invalid arguments to options; and so on. Where possible, tcpdchk provides a helpful suggestion to fix the problem. OPTIONS
-a Report access control rules that permit access without an explicit ALLOW keyword. This applies only when the extended access control language is enabled (build with -DPROCESS_OPTIONS). -d Examine hosts.allow and hosts.deny files in the current directory instead of the default ones. -i inet_conf Specify this option when tcpdchk is unable to find your inetd.conf or tlid.conf network configuration file, or when you suspect that the program uses the wrong one. -v Display the contents of each access control rule. Daemon lists, client lists, shell commands and options are shown in a pretty- printed format; this makes it easier for you to spot any discrepancies between what you want and what the program understands. FILES
The default locations of the tcpd access control tables are: /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny SEE ALSO
tcpdmatch(8), explain what tcpd would do in specific cases. hosts_access(5), format of the tcpd access control tables. hosts_options(5), format of the language extensions. inetd.conf(5), format of the inetd control file. AUTHORS
Wietse Venema (wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl), Department of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eindhoven University of Technology Den Dolech 2, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands TCPDCHK(8)