Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sharing storage, no network
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sharing storage, no network Post 88057 by tjlst15 on Monday 31st of October 2005 11:19:17 AM
Old 10-31-2005
Sharing storage, no network

Does anyone know of any way to share storage between 2 machines without networking?

I have a server that is constantly connected to a VPN that cuts off network access to every non-VPN network. This presents a problem when I have to transfer big files off of that server on to my internal network.

Is there a way I could transfer that data to a storage device that could be accessed by another server that has internal network connectivity? Not looking for a native Linux/Unix solution, if there is something that could be purchased, that would work too.

Thanks.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies

2. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Printer Sharing on a Mixed(Windows/Linux) Home Network

Sometimes you get the tiger...but sometimes he get you and this latest home network “project” of mine has gnawed on me pretty badly. Perhaps you can offer some technical help. It will be heartily appreciated. I have a small home network initially comprising two computers running Windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annatar
1 Replies

4. AIX

Sharing a tape drive across the network.

I'm building a new server that doesn't have an internal tape drive. It is running 5.3ML8. I have another server running 5.1ML9 that has an LTO1 drive I'd like to share. Is this possible, or should I look into twin-tailing it, if that's even supported anymore. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommysalami
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing a network mount preferably with NFS

Hello, I would like to share a 9p (Plan 9) passthrough/share to a VM via NFS (using a guest as an NFS server to share a directory from the host) At the moment I am getting the error message: 'exportfs: /share does not support NFS export'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scratch
2 Replies
NETWORKMANAGER(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 NETWORKMANAGER(8)

NAME
NetworkManager - network management daemon SYNOPSIS
NetworkManager [--no-daemon] DESCRIPTION
The NetworkManager daemon attempts to make networking configuration and operation as painless and automatic as possible by managing the primary network connection and other network interfaces, like Ethernet, WiFi, and Mobile Broadband devices. NetworkManager will connect any network device when a connection for that device becomes available, unless that behavior is disabled. Information about networking is exported via a D-Bus interface to any interested application, providing a rich API with which to inspect and control network settings and operation. NetworkManager will execute scripts in the /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d directory in alphabetical order in response to network events. Each script should be (a) a regular file, (b) owned by root, (c) not writable by group or other, (d) not set-uid, (e) and executable by the owner. Each script receives two arguments, the first being the interface name of the device just activated, and second an action. up The interface has been activated. The environment contains more information about the interface; CONNECTION_UUID contains the UUID of the connection. Other variables are IP4_ADDRESS_N where N is a number from 0 to (# IPv4 addresses - 1), in the format "address/prefix gateway". IP4_NUM_ADDRESSES contains the number addresses the script may expect. IP4_NAMESERVERS contains a space- separated list of the DNS servers, and IP4_DOMAINS contains a space-separated list of the search domains. Routes use the format IP4_ROUTE_N where N is a number from 0 to (# IPv4 routes - 1), in the format "address/prefix next-hop metric", and IP4_NUM_ROUTES contains the number of routes to expect. If the connection used DHCP for address configuration, the received DHCP configuration is passed in the environment using standard DHCP option names, prefixed with "DHCP4_", like "DHCP4_HOST_NAME=foobar". down The interface has been deactivated. vpn-up A VPN connection has been activated. The environment contains the connection UUID in the variable CONNECTION_UUID. vpn-down A VPN connection has been deactivated. hostname The system hostname has been updated. Use gethostname(2) to retrieve it. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --no-daemon Do not daemonize. This is useful for debugging, and directs log output to the controlling terminal in addition to syslog. DEBUGGING
The following environment variables are supported to help debugging. When used in conjunction with the "--no-daemon" option (thus echoing PPP and DHCP helper output to stdout) these can quickly help pinpoint the source of connection issues. NM_SERIAL_DEBUG When set to anything, causes NetworkManager to log all serial communication to and from serial devices like mobile broadband 3G modems. NM_PPP_DEBUG When set to anything, causes NetworkManager to turn on PPP debugging in pppd, which logs all PPP and PPTP frames and client/server exchanges. SEE ALSO
nm-tool(1) NETWORKMANAGER(8)