Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Self deleting script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Self deleting script Post 88031 by Perderabo on Monday 31st of October 2005 09:25:43 AM
Old 10-31-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever
Because the interpreter (the shell) loads the whole script and then executes it line by line. It would be really rather ineficient for it to repeatedly read a line and execute that line.
Ordinary shells behave like that, but ksh is much more efficient. To execute a loop, it ensures that it has the entire loop in core, then it compiles the loop and then it executes the compiled code. Other shells need to re-interpret the code on each iteration. This the secret of ksh's speed.

More than that, despite the name, rm does not remove files, it unlinks them from directories. If the file has zero links and is not open by any process, it is removed. So the file will not disappear while ksh has it open. Instead, it becomes a file with zero file names. This behavior is a good way to handle temporary files and a lot of programs do that... create a file, unlink it, then use it. It is guaranteed to disappear upon program exit.

Newbie admins post fairly often saying that a big file ate their filesystem, they deleted it, and they did not get the space back. This is why that happens. The file is still consuming space and will until the process that has it opened is killed. And now the file has no name so it is much harder to deal with.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting 30 days older

Hi, I need a script to delete files that are 30 days older and also the file name should contain aa or ab or ac as substring... Regards, Dolly.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_friend
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting table cells in a script

I'd like to use sed or awk to do this but I'm weak on both along with RE. Looking for a way with sed or awk to count for the 7th table data within a table row and if the condition is met to delete "<td>and everything in between </td>". Since the table header start on a specific line each time, that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Deleting files

Hi All, I need a script which compares the sysdate and the file date(Last updated time stamp) and if the time difference is greater than 10 mins i need to delete that file. Can anyone help me pls?????? Ashok. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problem with deleting data

The 10.Delete data doesnt work at all, plesase anyone could help on that. When I choose options 10 to delete a record it only copy the selected data on the other file dbs1 but doesnt delete it from the database where other records are. #! /bin/bash i="y" echo "Enter name of database " read db... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lina_14
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Specific Characters in Script

What's one single UNIX pipeline that would delete all of the vowels from one file (global)? I know I would need to use the sed command. But I'm stuck after that. i know how to replace characters with other characters I just don't know how to fully get rid of it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarahahah
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Deleting Folders Script

Hi all new to the forums. Very beginner at shell scripting. What I'm trying to do is this: Is the directory empty prior to removal of it? If not, inform the user that the directory is not empty and if the user wants to remove it remove or move the files in it first. But I'm stuck.. It checks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rduckett1456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting Files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting..i need your help. i have the delete the log files which are present in the specific path .i have the rules as below. 1)In Path1 i need to delete all the files which are present 2)in Path2 i need to keep 1 month of data and delete the rest of the data... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh25
5 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)