Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Self deleting script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Self deleting script Post 88028 by Unbeliever on Monday 31st of October 2005 08:30:42 AM
Old 10-31-2005
It works fine for me ... how are you executing the file?

If you are calling it like:

Code:
ksh remove.sh

then it will not work since you are foorcing the interpreter to be ksh where vino's example does not.

What do you have in your script and how are you involking it?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting 30 days older

Hi, I need a script to delete files that are 30 days older and also the file name should contain aa or ab or ac as substring... Regards, Dolly.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_friend
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting table cells in a script

I'd like to use sed or awk to do this but I'm weak on both along with RE. Looking for a way with sed or awk to count for the 7th table data within a table row and if the condition is met to delete "<td>and everything in between </td>". Since the table header start on a specific line each time, that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Deleting files

Hi All, I need a script which compares the sysdate and the file date(Last updated time stamp) and if the time difference is greater than 10 mins i need to delete that file. Can anyone help me pls?????? Ashok. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problem with deleting data

The 10.Delete data doesnt work at all, plesase anyone could help on that. When I choose options 10 to delete a record it only copy the selected data on the other file dbs1 but doesnt delete it from the database where other records are. #! /bin/bash i="y" echo "Enter name of database " read db... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lina_14
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Specific Characters in Script

What's one single UNIX pipeline that would delete all of the vowels from one file (global)? I know I would need to use the sed command. But I'm stuck after that. i know how to replace characters with other characters I just don't know how to fully get rid of it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarahahah
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Deleting Folders Script

Hi all new to the forums. Very beginner at shell scripting. What I'm trying to do is this: Is the directory empty prior to removal of it? If not, inform the user that the directory is not empty and if the user wants to remove it remove or move the files in it first. But I'm stuck.. It checks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rduckett1456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting Files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting..i need your help. i have the delete the log files which are present in the specific path .i have the rules as below. 1)In Path1 i need to delete all the files which are present 2)in Path2 i need to keep 1 month of data and delete the rest of the data... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh25
5 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)