Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Self deleting script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Self deleting script Post 88024 by Unbeliever on Monday 31st of October 2005 07:51:07 AM
Old 10-31-2005
Because the interpreter (the shell) loads the whole script and then executes it line by line. It would be really rather ineficient for it to repeatedly read a line and execute that line.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting 30 days older

Hi, I need a script to delete files that are 30 days older and also the file name should contain aa or ab or ac as substring... Regards, Dolly.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_friend
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting table cells in a script

I'd like to use sed or awk to do this but I'm weak on both along with RE. Looking for a way with sed or awk to count for the 7th table data within a table row and if the condition is met to delete "<td>and everything in between </td>". Since the table header start on a specific line each time, that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Deleting files

Hi All, I need a script which compares the sysdate and the file date(Last updated time stamp) and if the time difference is greater than 10 mins i need to delete that file. Can anyone help me pls?????? Ashok. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problem with deleting data

The 10.Delete data doesnt work at all, plesase anyone could help on that. When I choose options 10 to delete a record it only copy the selected data on the other file dbs1 but doesnt delete it from the database where other records are. #! /bin/bash i="y" echo "Enter name of database " read db... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lina_14
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Specific Characters in Script

What's one single UNIX pipeline that would delete all of the vowels from one file (global)? I know I would need to use the sed command. But I'm stuck after that. i know how to replace characters with other characters I just don't know how to fully get rid of it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarahahah
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Deleting Folders Script

Hi all new to the forums. Very beginner at shell scripting. What I'm trying to do is this: Is the directory empty prior to removal of it? If not, inform the user that the directory is not empty and if the user wants to remove it remove or move the files in it first. But I'm stuck.. It checks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rduckett1456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting Files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting..i need your help. i have the delete the log files which are present in the specific path .i have the rules as below. 1)In Path1 i need to delete all the files which are present 2)in Path2 i need to keep 1 month of data and delete the rest of the data... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh25
5 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)