Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Substitution in a variable
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Substitution in a variable Post 8800 by LivinFree on Thursday 18th of October 2001 12:15:44 AM
Old 10-18-2001
First thing I noticed, was that you would echo out $Cat_name. You didn't define Cat_name. The other thing I did was to add another \ to the sed statement, along with the -e option... Hope that helps...

Try this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

var_name="Hello World"
echo "var_name is $var_name"
var_name=`echo $var_name | sed -e 's/ /\\\ /g'`
echo "var_name has changed to $var_name"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable substitution

Hi everyone, I have a simple question to ask : In a script that I'm writting, I need to create variables on-the-fly. For instance, for every iterartion of the following loop a var_X variable should be generated : #!/bin/ksh a="1 2 3" for i in $a do var_${i}=$i echo "${var_$i}" done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ck-18
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

I have run into a wall with my iptables firewall scripting. I am blocking all of the private side IP addresses on the WAN interface on systems running NAT. However, if the system is not running NAT and needs to allow access to the local LAN on the WAN interface, I need to block all but one of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable substitution

Hi, That might be pretty simple. How can I generate a variable name and get their value ? Thanks a lot. Something like: >CUSTOMER_NF=26 > object=CUSTOMER > echo ${object}_NF CUSTOMER_NF > echo ${${object}_NF} ksh: ${${object}_NF}: 0403-011 The specified substitution is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution

file1.ksh #!/bin/ksh test5_create="I am a man" # test5 will be dynamic and the value will be passed from command line a=${1}_create echo $a # i need the output as "I am a man" ./file1.ksh test5 # i run the script like this any suggessions guys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

Hi , I have a variable as follows, Temp=`cat ABC.txt | cut -c5-` This will yeild a part of the date. say , 200912. I would like to substitute this variable's value in a filename. eg: File200912F.zip when i say File$TempF.zip , it is not substituting. Any help ? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution

Hi, I have to write a shell script in which I have to substitute a variable within a variable. For example, var1=aaa var2=file.$var1.txt The output should be, echo $var2 file.aaa.txt Can someone please help me in getting this. I tried using eval, but it didnt work. I might be using it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

read variable substitution

Allright so a quick question. I'm building a script that will eventually do a full IP subnet scan. It starts off by first entering an IP address, (capturing host and net ID comes after that) and I want it to use the current IP address if no input is given. Is there a quick way to define the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BisMarc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution with arrays

Hi all, I have a script with the following gist: declare -a index=(0 1 2 3 4); declare -a animals=(dog cat horse penguin cow); declare -a fruits=(orange apple grapes peach mango); declare -a drinks=(juice milk coffee tea coke); declare -a cities=(toronto paris london glasgow... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingzy
18 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in .git/refs/replace/ The name of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist in .git/refs/replace/ directory. Replacement references will be used by default by all git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-REPLACE(1)