Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Teaching myself Here Document Post 87983 by Just Ice on Sunday 30th of October 2005 03:14:10 PM
Old 10-30-2005
1. there's a missing command in the code ... and you cannot put that code in a cat HERE document because the cat command will only echo it instead of executing it ...
Code:
$name:$address:$city:$state:$zipCode:$phoneNumber >> phonebook 

should be ....

echo $name:$address:$city:$state:$zipCode:$phoneNumber >> phonebook

2. did you specify the path to the phonebook file?

also, you are putting in Here documents needlessly ... try to make your code simpler by ...
Code:
cat<<alldone1 

${bold} 
             WELCOME TO 
           MENU PROGRAM OF 
        THE PHONEBOOK PROJECT 
${off} 

Press ${bold}A${off} to add information to the phonebook. 
    Press ${bold}C${off} to change phonebook information. 
    Press ${bold}D${off} to display phonebook information. 
    Press ${bold}R${off} to remove phonebook information. 
    Press ${bold}Q${off} to quit the phonebook. 

alldone1

instead of ...
Code:
cat<<alldone1 

${bold} 
             WELCOME TO 
           MENU PROGRAM OF 
        THE PHONEBOOK PROJECT 
${off} 

alldone1 

cat<<alldone2 

Press ${bold}A${off} to add information to the phonebook. 
    Press ${bold}C${off} to change phonebook information. 
    Press ${bold}D${off} to display phonebook information. 
    Press ${bold}R${off} to remove phonebook information. 
    Press ${bold}Q${off} to quit the phonebook. 

alldone2

... and variables that will have the same value throughout the script can be defined once at the beginning of the script and do not have to be redefined for each section ...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on find a document

Hey all, I've been trying to find a document. The document is a list of all supported hardware that Solaris 7 supports. If anyone knows where this can be found thx in advanced. I've tried looking through the docs.sun.com site and can't find what I am after. It's just a list of hardware... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one teaching Tip

Student have huge interest about why so many expert choose use UNIX than MS Windows. I consider that SHARE & OPEN is key point.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 111000
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo with a here-document

I do not know how valid this post is, but here it is. I was writing a script for testing some development code that I had written. It involved many echo statements to redirect the output into a log file. Given the large number of echo statements, I took to this solution cat <<EOF >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

The here document <<

Hello, I want to know the use of the here document with the << operator. Tried to go through some books but the concept was not clear. Please can any1 expalin me this with a simple example. Thanks, Rahul. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Document

Plz can somebody give me the shell and perl scripting documents,i need to start the scrpts learning.now i know about the linux commands,but need help in putting the same in the scripting with do,if,while and also using diffrent commands in the scrpipts,pls help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.res
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here document inside a here document?

Can we use a here document inside a here document? Something like this ssh user@remotehost << REMOTE sudo vserver vsernamename enter << VSERVER perform actions on vserver. VSERVER REMOTE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Teaching myself Unix - Need websites and other pointers

Hi, I am new to Unix. I've started with a book "Unix for Dummies". Please help, any websites with extensive amount of practice exercises are needed. I need to practice! Also I would appreciate any books that are good for beginners. Thanks to all! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zamcruiser
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

HTML document

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Personal Web Page</TITLE></HEAD> <BODY BGCOLOR="WHITE"><H3> <CENTER>My Personal Page<HR>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Larry_1
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the value from Here Document

I have code like var="1" echo << EOF export `var="2"` EOF echo $var The value of var is printed here is 1 but it should be 2 Any error there? ---------- Post updated at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:33 AM ---------- Also tried var="1" echo var << EOF echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adisky123
1 Replies
PPI::Document::Fragment(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				PPI::Document::Fragment(3)

NAME
PPI::Document::Fragment - A fragment of a Perl Document DESCRIPTION
In some situations you might want to work with a fragment of a larger document. "PPI::Document::Fragment" is a class intended for this purpose. It is functionally almost identical to a normal PPI::Document, except that it is not possible to get line/column positions for the elements within it, and it does not represent a scope. METHODS
index_locations Unlike when called on a PPI::Document object, you should not be attempting to find locations of things within a PPI::Document::Fragment, and thus any call to the "index_locations" will print a warning and return "undef" instead of attempting to index the locations of the Elements. TO DO
Integrate this into the rest of PPI so it has actual practical uses. The most obvious would be to implement arbitrary cut/copy/paste more easily. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2011-02-26 PPI::Document::Fragment(3)