Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permanent Default Route
Operating Systems AIX Permanent Default Route Post 87780 by Neo on Thursday 27th of October 2005 02:54:55 PM
Old 10-27-2005
Your OS has files which are excuted when the system boots. You must put systems instructions, like your routing information, in those system boot files.

See this IBM info for AIX boot files.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

2. AIX

Default route removed - what to do ?

Hi, After accidental default route removal serial connection doesn't work. What should I do to connect to my machine ? thanks Vilius (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
7 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris 10 u5 what happens if no default route configured

Hi, I am new to solaris 10. What is the procedure the os takes if a default route is not configured? I am using a multihomed server with 4 interfaces. It looked strange to me this morning, because i had not defined a default route it defaulted to making one up, with the ip address of another... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
9 Replies

4. Solaris

how do i make a route entry permanent in the routing table on solaris 8?

how do I make sure that the entry in the routing table on Solaris 8 stay permanent after rebooting the server. For example route add 172.20.1.60 -netmask 255.255.255.0 172.20.255.253 Each time the server reboots the entry disappears when using the command netstat -nr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

5. AIX

Default route question

Hello I have a question regarding default route on AIX servers. (I am using a p5 5.3 TL9 machine). in my output of "lsattr -El inet0" I can see there are two routes like below. route net,-hopcount,0,,0,x.x.207.7 Route True route net,-hopcount,0,,0,x.x.202.129 Route True But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
9 Replies

6. Solaris

Default route is configured, but seem to not work

Hiya, I got the default gateway set in /etc/defaultrouter file, however "netstat -nr" doesn't show anything like "default" in the routing table. As far as I know "netstat" on Solaris 10 u7 should show something like : Routing Table: IPv4 Destination Gateway Flags Ref ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
8 Replies

7. IP Networking

DHCP/pxeboot Situation: how to specify default route?

Greetings, I am using debian squeeze to perform the following operation: 1. pxeboot Alix 2.c board into debian installer When I get to the installer my laptop's dhcp server successfully provides an ip address but does not set up the default route. I am not sure how to provide this. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mock
2 Replies

8. AIX

Default Route add fails

AIX version 5.3 when I try to add default gateway # route add 0 192.168.100.254 Or # route add default 192.168.100.254 I get the error 0821-275 route: socket: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. searching on google i came across similar... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Default route in system

Hi All Recently we have faced issue in SUN server after reboot of node 2 default routs has been added to system as below IRE Table: IPv4 **Destination*************Mask***********Gateway**********Device Mxfrg Rtt***Ref Flg**Out**In/Fwd* -------------------- ---------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
2 Replies
IPROUTE(3)						     Library Functions Manual							IPROUTE(3)

NAME
iproute - Internet route table manager SYNOPSIS
bind -a #P /net /net/iproute /net/ipifc DESCRIPTION
The iproute device allows the specification of routes for families of IP addresses. It maintains a kernel-resident routing table for IP addresses used by TCP, IL and UDP. Each route consists of a destination IP address, an IP mask, and an IP gateway address. Every packet sent by the system is routed according to the route table. An address matches the route table entry when a packet's destination address matches the table destination address under the mask. When a match is found, the packet is sent to the gateway IP address. If there is no match, the packet is sent with the original destination address. If there are several matches, the one whose mask has the fewest leading zeros is chosen. (Because of the definition of IP masks, this mask preserves the largest portion of the address and is therefore the most specific.) This is forced by storing the routes in decreasing number of ones order and returning the first match. The default gateway has no ones in the mask and is thus the last matched. Reading iproute reports the current routes entered in the table. Writing control messages to iproute edits the table. Route entries are made by writing a string of format add ipdest mask ipgateway Entries are deleted by writing a string of format delete ipdest mask The whole table can be cleared by writing the string For example, to install a gateway address to accept all IP packets from a machine: % echo 'add 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 131.107.1.5' > /net/iproute % cat /net/iproute 0.0.0.0 & 0.0.0.0 -> 131.107.1.5 Reading ipifc reports the current IP interfaces being used, one line per interface, showing the device, the maximum transfer unit, the local address, the network mask, and the network address. SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/deviproute.c SEE ALSO
ip(3), ipconfig(8) IPROUTE(3)