Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permanent Default Route
Operating Systems AIX Permanent Default Route Post 87768 by bakunin on Thursday 27th of October 2005 12:42:40 PM
Old 10-27-2005
The reason is you set the default route with something like a "route add ...", right?

This is fine, but is not persistent, because th information is not stored anywhere on a media which would survive reboot, just in memory. To change the default route permanently you would habe to change it in /etc/rc.inetd or - better yet in AIX - there and in the ODM too.

To do this issue a "chdev" (see the man page for chdev for details) or (this is effectively doing the same) issue "smitty tcpip", enter the "minimum configuration" screen and change it. (Pressing <F6> after filling out all the menus will show you the command SMITty would issue, so you could write it down and further use it in a script or so.)

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

2. AIX

Default route removed - what to do ?

Hi, After accidental default route removal serial connection doesn't work. What should I do to connect to my machine ? thanks Vilius (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
7 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris 10 u5 what happens if no default route configured

Hi, I am new to solaris 10. What is the procedure the os takes if a default route is not configured? I am using a multihomed server with 4 interfaces. It looked strange to me this morning, because i had not defined a default route it defaulted to making one up, with the ip address of another... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
9 Replies

4. Solaris

how do i make a route entry permanent in the routing table on solaris 8?

how do I make sure that the entry in the routing table on Solaris 8 stay permanent after rebooting the server. For example route add 172.20.1.60 -netmask 255.255.255.0 172.20.255.253 Each time the server reboots the entry disappears when using the command netstat -nr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

5. AIX

Default route question

Hello I have a question regarding default route on AIX servers. (I am using a p5 5.3 TL9 machine). in my output of "lsattr -El inet0" I can see there are two routes like below. route net,-hopcount,0,,0,x.x.207.7 Route True route net,-hopcount,0,,0,x.x.202.129 Route True But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
9 Replies

6. Solaris

Default route is configured, but seem to not work

Hiya, I got the default gateway set in /etc/defaultrouter file, however "netstat -nr" doesn't show anything like "default" in the routing table. As far as I know "netstat" on Solaris 10 u7 should show something like : Routing Table: IPv4 Destination Gateway Flags Ref ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
8 Replies

7. IP Networking

DHCP/pxeboot Situation: how to specify default route?

Greetings, I am using debian squeeze to perform the following operation: 1. pxeboot Alix 2.c board into debian installer When I get to the installer my laptop's dhcp server successfully provides an ip address but does not set up the default route. I am not sure how to provide this. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mock
2 Replies

8. AIX

Default Route add fails

AIX version 5.3 when I try to add default gateway # route add 0 192.168.100.254 Or # route add default 192.168.100.254 I get the error 0821-275 route: socket: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. searching on google i came across similar... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Default route in system

Hi All Recently we have faced issue in SUN server after reboot of node 2 default routs has been added to system as below IRE Table: IPv4 **Destination*************Mask***********Gateway**********Device Mxfrg Rtt***Ref Flg**Out**In/Fwd* -------------------- ---------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
2 Replies
DUMP_SOCKDFR(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   DUMP_SOCKDFR(8)

NAME
dump_sockdfr - Display contents of frozen route file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
dump_sockdfr [infile] DESCRIPTION
dump_sockdfr reads in a frozen route file for the SOCKS server and produces a listing of its contents on the standard output. The argument is optional; if omitted, /etc/sockd.fr is assumed. The frozen route file is produced by make_sockdfr and is essentially the memory image of the parsed route file. Using the frozen route file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen route file /etc/sockd.fr first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text route file /etc/sockd.route. If you use frozen route file, you must remember to run make_sockdfr every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen version of a previous route file. FILES
/etc/sockd.fr, /etc/sockd.route SEE ALSO
make_sockdfr(8), sockd.fr(5), sockd.route(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@esd.sgi.com or yingda@best.com May 6, 1996 DUMP_SOCKDFR(8)