Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Configuring networking interfaces on Solaris 10 Post 87742 by annointed3 on Thursday 27th of October 2005 09:44:21 AM
Old 10-27-2005
Configuring networking interfaces on Solaris 10

Hi,

I am trying to configure an ip address, netmask, and default gateway on my solaris machine. For example, in Linux I would do the following command:

#ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 255.0.0.0
#add route or route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

In Solaris 10, I believe the commands are similar, but I don't know what my interface is (in the example above it was eth0), but in Solaris 10, I can't figure out what it is. Can someone provide me steps on how to set up my network interface on Solaris 10?

Thanks in advance for your help Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

networking between two solaris workstations

I am trying to network two solaris workstations(ultra sparc 5) at home. what shoud I use to build the one of workstations as a http and ftp server and to network with the other workstation? (please explain to me in detail.. what kind of software or equipment do I need..) Thanks John (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jung1975
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding interfaces in solaris 9

Hi, Have a solaris 9 e420, one onboard nic. Now I added a quad nic card. I have never had more than a single interface. Any help on setting this new card up? or links? PLease? ; thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring networking interface on Sun Blade 1500

Hi, I am attempting to configure my ethernet interface on a Sun Blade 1500. I am testing out my network interface my connecting a crossover cable from my blade to a windows box. I would like to assign an ip address of 10.0.0.2 to "bge0" and netmask of "255.0.0.0". I have typed the following: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annointed3
1 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris networking

may i know what is the command for configure new ip, subnet mask and gateway ?? thanks .. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farbegas
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 Networking

I have just installed Solaris 10 for x86. The install seemed to have worked fine, and I have configured my hostname and am able to login and do whatever. However, networking does not seem to have been installed. I have a router which assigns ip address via DHCP. I would have thought Solaris would... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

Solaris Networking - help

Hi all Right, i need to admit Im c4p on networking. I hate it, always have, always will. Here's my problem Ive got 3 hosts. A B and C. I need to directly contact host C from host A, but at the moment I have to ssh on to B, to then ssh on to C. so, I need to set up host b, to forward... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris networking

Hi, I have installed two solaris boxes in an VM. First box is 10-1 Has two interfaces and in connected briged to the lan an d connected internal to an virtual lan. Second box is 10-2 Has one interface. Now what I wanted to do is a setup so that 10-2 connects through 10-1 to the lan.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network

Hello, I have a machine with Solaris 8, and it has multiple interfaces that are connected to the same network which means they all have metric 0 (1 hop) to the default gateway. assume: * e1000g0: 10.1.1.70 * e1000g2: 10.1.1.72 * e1000g4: 10.1.1.74 * e1000g5: 10.1.1.76 * gateway:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeg
11 Replies

9. Solaris

Configuring network interfaces in Solaris11

Hi all, Just istalled Solaris 11. Want to configure network interfaces and got some problems: #dladm show-phys # #dladm show-link # If i run ifconfig -a, i am getting 2 lo0 (loopback) interfaces and thats all. I can't enable interface, can't list it, can't assign IP to it. Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
2 Replies
ROUTE.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						     ROUTE.CONF(5)

NAME
route.conf -- static routes config file DESCRIPTION
The route.conf file is read by the staticroute rc.d script during system start-up and shutdown, and is intended for adding and removing static routes. FILE FORMAT Lines starting with a hash ('#') are comments and ignored. Lines starting with a plus sign ('+') are run during start-up, while lines start- ing with a minus sign ('-') are run during system shutdown. If a line starts with a '!', the rest of the line will get evaluated as a shell script fragment. All other lines are passed to route(8). During start-up, they are passed behind a ``route add -'' command and during shut- down behind a ``route delete -'' command. FILES
/etc/route.conf The route.conf file resides in /etc. /etc/rc.d/staticroute rc.d(8) script that parses route.conf. EXAMPLES
In this example, the interface for the desired routing changes is set, the IP address on that interface is determined, and a route is added during startup, or deleted during system shutdown. # Set interface and determine current IP address for added route. !ifname=bnx0 !ipaddr=$(/sbin/ifconfig ${ifname} | awk '$1 == "inet" {print $2}') net 10.10.1 -interface ${ipaddr} In this example, IP forwarding is turned on during start-up, and a static route added for 192.168.2.0. During system shutdown, the route is removed and IP forwarding turned off. # Turn on/off IP forwarding. +sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 -sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=0 net 192.168.2.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.150.2 SEE ALSO
rc.conf(5), rc(8), route(8) BSD
May 1, 2012 BSD