Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Basic networking setup in unix Post 87677 by reborg on Wednesday 26th of October 2005 04:20:12 PM
Old 10-26-2005
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf

Also if using a proxy server you'll need to deal with that also.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

basic networking

Here are some really stupid questions, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing, so any help will be appreciated. I'm trying to learn linux and basic networking. I have 2 computers: one has windows and the other I just installed Red Hat 7.1. In the network configuration screen of the Red Hat... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: satops
10 Replies

2. IP Networking

Networking Setup

I have a server running SCO Unix and two MS Windows computers (XP & 98) networked together (TCP/IP). The UNIX computer has 2 dumb terminals and the 2 Windows computer currently run ProComm to connect to it by way of a serial connection. I would like to do two things. 1. Bring in the Internet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagp
2 Replies

3. Slackware

Basic networking questions.

Hey, I'm new to Linux. I have a few questions about it. I run Slackware. After the installation the Linux installation had problems with my old hardware (network card, sound card) so I removed them and Linux would start. But now, I can't seem to use the network card in Linux because it's not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RellioN
3 Replies

4. SuSE

How to setup basic telnet?

hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me setup my telnet on my linux 7.1 machine. I need it so i can do some remote work on soem stuff i've got going when i go away next month. I've tried a few times before but it didn't work, i don't know why. thanks for your help. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
23 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic .profile setup

As a brand new user, I need to setup my .profile Here's what I have: # User Profile zapservices 10/4/2005 # ############################### export ORACLE_SID=S8DEV export PS_BASE=/usr/local/psft export PS_ENV=prdsfs export PS_LOGDIR=$PS_BASE/log/$PS_ENV export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapservices
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

Networking Setup

Hopefully I can explain this to get some assistance. I have a debian linux server with a single NIC and a public IP of say 1.2.3.4. I'm running a couple of VMs inside and my ISP has given me a block of IPs a /28 to utilize. That block is routed to my 1.2.3.4 IP. So each of my VMs will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mindraven
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Basic networking please help

I am running Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server editions on two separate VMs. For the desktop I have set network adapters: Adapter 1: internal network called intnet Adapter 2: NAT Server: Adapter 1: internal network called intnet Now I'm suppose to set ip addresses which I'm pretty sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

Basic networking question

Hii, Today morning I attended an interview, they had showed me the attached image and had few questions about that. The image shows a network with 4 nodes viz.. A B C & D and two switches(layer2) and a router(layer3). Just wanted to know can node A and node D would be on same network e.g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

MP-RAS Unix Networking Setup

I have an MP-RAS unix server from ncr. We are trying to get the network configured so that we may transer files between the unix box and a pc. I have used the included TCPCONFIG command to setup the network, however I can not ping, telnet or ftp to any other pcs on the network. Any help would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email server setup - basic help; tutorial for debian/Postfix/dovecot

Hello, I have been trying to setup a email server here at home, for me and a few friends. Nothing fancy, just a super basic - but secure - email server. I have been having trouble over the course of the past 2-3 weeks fumbling through various online tutorials. It shouldn't be SO hard =) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalisco
0 Replies
resolv.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						    resolv.conf(5)

Name
       resolv.conf - resolver configuration file

Description
       The  resolver  configuration  file, contains information that the resolver routines read the first time they are invoked by a process.  The
       resolver file contains ASCII text and lists the name-value pairs that provide various types of resolver information.

The file is required if your system is running BIND.  This file must contain the BIND domain name for the local area network.  If your sys-
       tem is a BIND client, this file must also contain nameserver entries.

There are two entry formats for the file:

domain binddomain
	      This  line  specifies  the  default  domain to append to local host names.  If no domain entries are present, the domain returned by
	      after the first dot (.) is used.	If the host name does not contain a domain, the root domain is assumed.

nameserver address
	      In this entry, the address is the IP address, in dot notation, of the BIND server that should be queried to resolve  host  name  and
	      address  information.   You should have at least one name server listed.	Two or more name servers reduces the possibility of inter-
	      rupted BIND service in the event that one of the servers is down.  You can list up to (10) name servers.	If more than one server is
	      listed,  the resolver library queries you to try them in the order listed.  If no name server entries are present, the default is to
	      use the name server on the local machine.

The algorithm used is to try a name server, and, if the query times out, to try the next, until out of name servers or the query	is
	      resolved.   The  last step is to repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries has been made or the query has
	      been resolved.

The name value pair must appear on a single line, and the keyword or must start each line.

Examples
       The following is an example of a file:
       ;
       ; Data file for a client
       ;
       domain	      cities.us
       nameserver     128.11.22.33
       Lines beginning with a semicolon (;) are comment lines.

Files
See Also
       gethostname(2), resolver(3), named(8)
       Guide to the BIND Service

resolv.conf(5)