Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert delimited to fixed length Post 87630 by Perderabo on Wednesday 26th of October 2005 11:35:02 AM
Old 10-26-2005
Sheesh, what a crazy format. ksh uses strings which are null terminated and this makes working with nulls virtually impossible. We can pad with a substitute character and then translate all occurences of the sunstitute character to nulls as the last operation.
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh
typeset -L13 name2
typeset -R10 val2
PAD="%"
NULLS="${PAD}${PAD}${PAD}${PAD}"
NULLS="${NULLS}${NULLS}${NULLS}${NULLS}"
IFS="<<tab>>"
exec < data
while read name val ; do
        val2="00000000000000"$val
        name2=${name}${NULLS}
        echo "$name2 $val2"
done | tr $PAD "\000"
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert XML file into Text file(fixed length)

If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert xml into text file(fixed length) using Unix Borne shell scripts. My xml file: <root> <header_rec recordtype="00"> <record_id>00</record_id> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert Fixed length file to delimited file.

I have below fixed lenth file . I have to convert this to delimitted file. File1.txtE116005/29/19930E001E000 E12201/23/19940E001E003 E10406/4/19940E001E003 I want to convert this to : E116,0,05/29/1993,0,E001,E000 E122,0,1/23/1994,0,E001,E003 E104,0,6/4/1994,0,E001,E003 I have a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert fixed length file to CSV

Newbie Looking for a script to convert my input file to delimited text file. Not familier with AWK or shell programing. Below is sample record in my input file and the expected output format. My OS is HPUX 11.23. Thanks in advance for your assistance. tbtbs input file:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtbs
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting fixed length file to delimited file

hi , i need to convert fixed length file to delimited file using unix where length of each column is variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishithinfy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert # delimited text file to fixed width

Hello gurus, I have a file containing 5 columns delimited by '#' as shown in the example below: HRP1000-PLVAR#HRP1000-OTYPE#HRP1000-OBJID#HRP1000-BEGDA#HRP1000-ENDDA# 99991231#AU7129#000000000#1 PROCTER & GAMBLE# 99991231#TT4283#1000013883#21111 LAUNDRY# 99991231#TT4283#1000013884#21121 DISH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed length to delimited file conversion

Hi All, I need to convert a fixed length file to a delimited file with , (comma). But not all columns, some of the columns in the fixed files are used as fillers and I do not need that in the output file. test_fixed_len.txt I 0515 MR 394 I 0618 MR & MRS 942 I 0618 MR & MRS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert a fixed width file to a delimited file

Hi - this is a generic question .... is there any utility which can convert a fixed width file format to a delimited file (any given character delimited) ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
5 Replies
SELECT 
INTO(7) SQL Commands SELECT INTO(7) NAME
SELECT INTO - define a new table from the results of a query SYNOPSIS
[ WITH [ RECURSIVE ] with_query [, ...] ] SELECT [ ALL | DISTINCT [ ON ( expression [, ...] ) ] ] * | expression [ [ AS ] output_name ] [, ...] INTO [ TEMPORARY | TEMP ] [ TABLE ] new_table [ FROM from_item [, ...] ] [ WHERE condition ] [ GROUP BY expression [, ...] ] [ HAVING condition [, ...] ] [ WINDOW window_name AS ( window_definition ) [, ...] ] [ { UNION | INTERSECT | EXCEPT } [ ALL ] select ] [ ORDER BY expression [ ASC | DESC | USING operator ] [ NULLS { FIRST | LAST } ] [, ...] ] [ LIMIT { count | ALL } ] [ OFFSET start [ ROW | ROWS ] ] [ FETCH { FIRST | NEXT } [ count ] { ROW | ROWS } ONLY ] [ FOR { UPDATE | SHARE } [ OF table_name [, ...] ] [ NOWAIT ] [...] ] DESCRIPTION
SELECT INTO creates a new table and fills it with data computed by a query. The data is not returned to the client, as it is with a normal SELECT. The new table's columns have the names and data types associated with the output columns of the SELECT. PARAMETERS
TEMPORARY or TEMP If specified, the table is created as a temporary table. Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for details. new_table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to be created. All other parameters are described in detail under SELECT [select(7)]. NOTES
CREATE TABLE AS [create_table_as(7)] is functionally similar to SELECT INTO. CREATE TABLE AS is the recommended syntax, since this form of SELECT INTO is not available in ECPG or PL/pgSQL, because they interpret the INTO clause differently. Furthermore, CREATE TABLE AS offers a superset of the functionality provided by SELECT INTO. Prior to PostgreSQL 8.1, the table created by SELECT INTO included OIDs by default. In PostgreSQL 8.1, this is not the case -- to include OIDs in the new table, the default_with_oids configuration variable must be enabled. Alternatively, CREATE TABLE AS can be used with the WITH OIDS clause. EXAMPLES
Create a new table films_recent consisting of only recent entries from the table films: SELECT * INTO films_recent FROM films WHERE date_prod >= '2002-01-01'; COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard uses SELECT INTO to represent selecting values into scalar variables of a host program, rather than creating a new table. This indeed is the usage found in ECPG (see in the documentation) and PL/pgSQL (see in the documentation). The PostgreSQL usage of SELECT INTO to represent table creation is historical. It is best to use CREATE TABLE AS for this purpose in new code. SEE ALSO
CREATE TABLE AS [create_table_as(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 SELECT INTO(7)