Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem with function which reutrns pointer to a value Post 87619 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 26th of October 2005 10:24:37 AM
Old 10-26-2005
The compiler (actually the linker) is telling you that it can't find the

char *pcCityIdToCountryName(ADMIN_DB_DATA *pstHEader, unit uiCityID)

code anywhere. Is this function in another module? If so you will have to link against that module.
Code:
cc myfile.c -o myfile -L<some shared library>
or
cc myfile.c somemodule.o -o myfile

The -L syntax requires you to remove the "lib" from in front of the shared library name:
Code:
libcountry.so

becomes:
-L country

The .so or .sl is not needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer problem

could any one tell why the following is showing segmentation fault while using **ptr but working fine using **a #include<stdio.h> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to return void function pointer

Hello all im trying to build function that will return void function pointer what is mean is ( not working ) the main function void * myClass::getFunction(int type){ if(type==1) return &myClass::Test1; if(type==2) return &myClass::Test2; } void myClass::Test1(){... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

Function pointer to inline function ?

Hi. Problem: I have to parse the payload of a packet. The payload could be in Big Endian Format (network byte order) or little. That depends on a flag present in the header of the packet. Solution: A horrible solution could be to check for that flag everytime I have to read a field in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
11 Replies

5. Programming

Function Returning Pointer

Hi guys. how a functions such fdopen, ... can return pointer? are these functions use static memory(variables)? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

6. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

7. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Programming

pointer problem

Does anyone know? int x = 1; int *p = &++x; //ok ! int *q = &x++; //gives an error :O why the first pointer is ok but the second is an error? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
13 Replies

9. Programming

Pure C function pointer on printing vowels twice

Have difficulty to understand this pure C code to only print vowels twice from input string. Questions are commented at the end of each place. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> #include <limits.h> /* *Demonstrate the use of dispatch tables */ /*Print a char... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

10. Programming

Segmentation fault when I pass a char pointer to a function in C.

I am passing a char* to the function "reverse" and when I execute it with gdb I get: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000000000040083b in reverse (s=0x400b2b "hello") at pointersExample.c:72 72 *q = *p; Attached is the source code. I do not understand why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies
RESOURCE_INT_VALUE(9)					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual				     RESOURCE_INT_VALUE(9)

NAME
resource_int_value, resource_long_value, resource_string_value -- get a value from the hints mechanism SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/bus.h> int resource_int_value(const char *name, int unit, const char *resname, int *result); int resource_long_value(const char *name, int unit, const char *resname, long *result); int resource_string_value(const char *name, int unit, const char *resname, const char **result); DESCRIPTION
These functions fetch a value from the ``hints'' mechanism. The functions take the following arguments: name The name of the device to get the resource value from. unit The unit number of the device. -1 is special and is used for wildcard entries. resname The resource name. result A pointer to memory in which to store the resource value. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the functions return 0. Otherwise, a non-zero error code is returned. ERRORS
The functions will fail if: [ENOENT] The resource could not be found. [EFTYPE] Inappropriate resource type. SEE ALSO
device(9), driver(9) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
March 1, 2001 BSD