Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem with function which reutrns pointer to a value Post 87618 by jazz on Wednesday 26th of October 2005 10:12:58 AM
Old 10-26-2005
Question Problem with function which reutrns pointer to a value

i have a function:
char *pcCityIdToCountryName(ADMIN_DB_DATA *pstHEader, unit uiCityID)

this returns a pointer to CountryName if cityId is given.
to retrieve countryname i give:

char *CountryName;
CountryName = pcCityIdToCountryName(..................);

but when i compile it is giving :
Unresolved
pcCityIdToCountryName

Iam new to C programming. Please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer problem

could any one tell why the following is showing segmentation fault while using **ptr but working fine using **a #include<stdio.h> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to return void function pointer

Hello all im trying to build function that will return void function pointer what is mean is ( not working ) the main function void * myClass::getFunction(int type){ if(type==1) return &myClass::Test1; if(type==2) return &myClass::Test2; } void myClass::Test1(){... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

Function pointer to inline function ?

Hi. Problem: I have to parse the payload of a packet. The payload could be in Big Endian Format (network byte order) or little. That depends on a flag present in the header of the packet. Solution: A horrible solution could be to check for that flag everytime I have to read a field in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
11 Replies

5. Programming

Function Returning Pointer

Hi guys. how a functions such fdopen, ... can return pointer? are these functions use static memory(variables)? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

6. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

7. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Programming

pointer problem

Does anyone know? int x = 1; int *p = &++x; //ok ! int *q = &x++; //gives an error :O why the first pointer is ok but the second is an error? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
13 Replies

9. Programming

Pure C function pointer on printing vowels twice

Have difficulty to understand this pure C code to only print vowels twice from input string. Questions are commented at the end of each place. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> #include <limits.h> /* *Demonstrate the use of dispatch tables */ /*Print a char... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

10. Programming

Segmentation fault when I pass a char pointer to a function in C.

I am passing a char* to the function "reverse" and when I execute it with gdb I get: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000000000040083b in reverse (s=0x400b2b "hello") at pointersExample.c:72 72 *q = *p; Attached is the source code. I do not understand why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies
index(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						 index(3C)

NAME
index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *index(const char *s, int c); char *rindex(const char *s, int c); DESCRIPTION
The index() and rindex() functions operate on null-terminated strings. The index() function returns a pointer to the first occurrence of character c in string s. The rindex() function returns a pointer to the last occurrence of character c in string s. Both index() and rindex() return a null pointer if c does not occur in the string. The null character terminating a string is considered to be part of the string. USAGE
On most modern computer systems, you can not use a null pointer to indicate a null string. A null pointer is an error and results in an abort of the program. If you wish to indicate a null string, you must use a pointer that points to an explicit null string. On some machines and with some implementations of the C programming language, a null pointer, if dereferenced, would yield a null string. Though often used, this practice is not always portable. Programmers using a null pointer to represent an empty string should be aware of this portability issue. Even on machines where dereferencing a null pointer does not cause an abort of the program, it does not necessarily yield a null string. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bstring(3C), malloc(3C), string(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 24 Jul 2002 index(3C)