Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Model script related question Post 8752 by TioTony on Wednesday 17th of October 2001 10:35:14 AM
Old 10-17-2001
Thanks

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately I can't afford to not have my chmod script run since this is a prod box and it needs to be functional after a reboot, or in a worst case, after a crash. I will, however write a script like you mentioned and put it in the rc?.d directories between each of the other scripts since I can't afford to keep rebooting. I will have to catch it in 1 try, hopefully. I have been through init.d already, but here is the output if you want to see it:

/sbin/init.d/clean_tmps: chmod 1777 /tmp
/sbin/init.d/hpfc: chmod 666 /dev/lan$CARD_INSTANCE
/sbin/init.d/hpfcms: chmod 666 /dev/fcms${inst}
/sbin/init.d/inetsvcs: chmod 444 $file
/sbin/init.d/maclan_init: chmod 600 /dev/lan$INSTANCE_NUMBER
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core: chmod 755 /etc/net
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core: chmod 755 /etc/net/$i
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core: chmod 644 $ETC_NET/$j/$i
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core: /usr/bin/chmod 644 /etc/net/$i/hosts
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core: chmod 644 /etc/net/$i/hosts
/sbin/init.d/ppp: mknod $dev c $MAJOR $m; chown root $dev; chmod 600 $dev
/sbin/init.d/ppp: mknod $dev c $MAJOR $n; chown root $dev; chmod 600 $dev
/sbin/init.d/ppp: mknod $dev c $MAJOR $m; chown root $dev; chmod 600 $dev
/sbin/init.d/splex: chmod 0664 /dev/splex > /dev/null 2>&1
/sbin/init.d/splex: chmod 0664 /dev/splexc > /dev/null 2>&1
/sbin/init.d/swagentd: chmod 600 $acl_path

Nothing unusual as far as I can tell. The inetsvcs was suspect breifly becuase of the 444. We see this on both HPUX 10.20 and 11, both 32 bit. Any other thoughts or ideas are more then welcome.
Thanks,
Tony

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Question related to the net

well, I was suggested to remove the contents of the cache as i get out of the browser netscape from the .netscape folder. is that really necessary? if so what are the rest to be done? can anybody please tell me?:rolleyes: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

a math related question

hello: First I know the rules on Homework related questions, I wrote my script, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do one math problem. How do I take a zip code and seperate the idvidual digits? I used the modulus expression and divided the number by 10 ^ n but that only worked... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jahjah
9 Replies

3. Programming

signals related question

Hi all, Just a little question relative to signals. I know that if an application is in the sleep state, When a signal is catched, it will be processed by the handler. But what happens if it's processing something? Does the processing stops?? The following code should illustrate this case ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script Question.... [java related]

Hey guys! This is my first post, as im new here :S I have a simple problem for a big program. We have a .sh to install it, but when I run the .sh in terminal like i should, It says the class is not found. I believe it has to do with the syntax, as the person who made it is not a linux pro. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drags111
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

One Question related to alias

Hello, I have created following alias in csh lab 'rlogin -l user23 complab23' but problem is complab23 does not allow automatic login by checking .rhosts file. So after typing lab on command line I have to type complicate password and if wrong password is typed thrice then account gets... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neerajrathi2
4 Replies

6. Solaris

RBAC related question.....

I am referring Bill Calkins(SCSA exam prep) for RBAC..actually i wanted to make a normal user to get the privilege to run a command through authorization, not through profile files... This is the exact steps given by Bill calkins.. 1.roleadd -m -d /export/home/adminusr -c... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk related question

awk "/^<Mar 31, 2012 : /,0" /app/blah.log can someone please help me figure out why the above command isn't pulling anything out from the log? basically, i want it to pull out all records, from the very first line that starts with the date "Mar 31, 2012" and that also has a time immediately... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question related to 'ps'

If I run a script called 'abc.sh' and then execute the following : ps -ef | grep 'abc.sh' I always get two rows of output, one for the executing script, and the other for the grep command that I have triggered after the pipe. Questions: Why does the second row turn up in the results. My... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk related question

awk -F ";" 'FNR==NR{a=$1;next} ($2 in a)' server.list datafile | while read line do echo ${line} done when i run the above, i get this: 1 SERVICE NOTIFICATION: nagiosadmin skysmart-01.sky.net .... instead of: SERVICE NOTIFICATION: nagiosadmin skysmart-01.sky.net .... can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question related to grep

We have huge file with control A as delimiter. Somehow one record is corrupted. This time i figured it out using ETL graph. If future , how to print only bad record. Example Correct record:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

NAME
reboot - Restarts the machine SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] DESCRIPTION
When the system is running and multiple users are logged in, use the shutdown -r command to perform a reboot operation. If no users are logged in, use the reboot command. The reboot command normally stops all running processes, syncs the disks, logs the reboot, and writes a shutdown entry in the login accounting file, /var/adm/wtmp. The reboot command uses the sync call to synchronize the disks, and to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing the hard- ware time-of-day clock. After these activities, the system reboots. By default, the system starts and the file systems are automatically checked. If the start-up activities are successful, the system comes up in the default run-level. You must have root privileges to use this command. Using the -n flag can result in file system damage. FLAGS
Generates a crash dump of the system before halting it. Can be used with any of the other flags. Does not log the reboot using syslog Does not sync the disks or log the reboot using syslog Performs a quick reboot without first shutting down running processes; does not log the reboot using syslog EXAMPLES
To enable the default reboot action, enter: reboot This command causes the system to stop all running processes, sync the disks, log the shutdown, and perform other routine shutdown and reboot activities. To shut down the system without logging the reboot, enter: reboot -l This command shuts down the system and performs all shutdown and reboot activities, except logging the shutdown. To reboot the system abruptly, enter: reboot -q This command reboots the system abruptly without shutting down running processes. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the login accounting file Specifies the path of the syslog daemon RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), savecore(8) shutdown(8), syslogd(8) Functions: reboot(2), sync(2), syslog(3) delim off reboot(8)