Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX hardware sensitive?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is UNIX hardware sensitive? Post 87504 by needhelp38 on Monday 24th of October 2005 10:04:43 PM
Old 10-24-2005
Is UNIX hardware sensitive?

Our server at work is a UNIX SCO system. The motherboard in the server went bad, and since the machine (IBM 300GL) is outdated, the PC repair place can't get a part to fix it. They told us that we can have our hard drive (we need to save the data) moved to a new machine, but they are unsure if moving the hard drive will cause it to crash, like Windows XP does.

Does anyone know if the hard drive will crash if it is moved, or will it be safe?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Hardware Recommendations pls

Hello, I'm a Computer Engineering student at Portland State University and am seriously trying to broaden my horizons in UNIX. My goal is to eventually become an excellent sys admin, but alas...I'm just starting off on this path. I am relatively new (though not unexposed) to UNIX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyron5
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix user ID's case-sensitive?

It has been quite a while since I used UNIX. I am developing a security system and I was wondering if UNIX and/or LINUX user ID's are case-sensitive. i.e. can user 'daveb' and 'Daveb' exist on the same system with completely different authorizations/priorities, etc.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmilleville
3 Replies

3. AIX

AIX and SUN unix commands for hardware monitoring

Hello again, I would like to know if the following commands: diag, errpt, lscfg, lspv, lsvg, lsps, lslv for AIX and prtdiag, psrinfo, sysdef for SUN are native to these systems or if they are in fact scripts that are added after the unix installation. Thank you in advance. Have a nice day (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I view my hardware specs in my unix machine ?

I am trying to view the hardware specifications through ssh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfir
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP-Unix Hardware benchmarking

Hi everyone, I'm working on one HP-Unix application which we have to port completely onto Windows xp. Before that I have to compare performance of two different machines. My HP-Unix is running on HP-C8000 workstation and windows XP machine is intel Xeon. Now the problem is to evaluate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgatkal
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX distribution for hardware checking

Hello, does anyone knows about any distribution that can make (or provides the tools) all kind of hardware tests? Tests like I/O, CPU execution, RAM, etc... Any kind of "tools" that does this via a Linux Live-CD would be appreciated as well. Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hardware and Software Configuration in UNIX..

Hi, Anybody please let me know the command to find the Hardware and Software components used in any HP-UNIX or Sun Solaris UNIX server ? I need to get all the configuration of the UNIX server. Thanks, Rohit.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronix007
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Hardware RAID in HP Unix rp3440

Hi Gurus, Can anyone tell me the Hardware RAID configuration in HP Unix rp3440 model server containing HP UX B.11.11 OS version. Thanks in Advance. BR, Prasanth (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanth438
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix : hardware to learn

Hello, As many people, i learned Windows & Linux on x86 hardware. But i'd like to learn on my own, Unix. Unlike Linux, it seems impossible to take any hardware and install, on the fly, any Unix OS. So, i'd like to know : how could someone learn by himself Unix ? Share your... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZed
11 Replies
hdio(7I)							  Ioctl Requests							  hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.11 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)