Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers string search in folders with particular multiple file extension Post 87478 by vertigo23 on Monday 24th of October 2005 02:51:14 PM
Old 10-24-2005
find /folder/path -name "*.html" -or -name "*.xml" | xargs grep ABC

or, if you run into errors due to space characters in the filename:

find /folder/path -name "*.html" -or -name "*.xml" -print0 | xargs -0 grep ABC

man find for more info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep on search string in a txt file over multiple files

I have a couple of things I got stuck on 1) I have a text file containing 25k search string that I need to search against compressed file. I have used this command but somehow it doesn't seems to use all the search terms. I have put one search string per line in the txt file (I clean up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m00
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple strings on a file and copy the string next to it

I tried awk for this, but failed <or my code is not correct? I dont know>. Can anyone help me on this? ---------- Post updated at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:29 PM ---------- my working file looks like this: <empty> <empty> <empty> NAME :ABC AGE :15 GENDER... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for a file extension

hi all, i'm new to shell scripting, i need help from u guys to do my task now.. i just need to check a file extension existence in a directory, and if it exists then i have to continue my processing. pls give me the command to check the extension of the files (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search multiple string in file

hi , i am having a file where i need to take ignore the data from file1.txt and redirect to another file for eg: file1.txt AUS USA file2.txt AUS,123 NZ,11 USA,12 i am using the below code (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES

Hi, Can someone please help me with a Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES. I am searching for the VIP in HTTPD.CONF in multiple httpd instances. I am using find ./ -name "httpd.conf" | xargs grep 10.22.0.141 cut -d: -f3- | cut -d ' ' -f4 | sort | uniq -c ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crosairs
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for specific file type in subdirectory with multiple folders

I have a directory that is in the below order (the --- is not part of the directory tree, only there to help illustrate: DATE --- main level Folder1 --- level under DATE plugin_out --- level under Folder1 variantCaller_out.40 --- level under plugin_out 001,002,003 --- level under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop through the folders and search for particular string in files

Hello, Opearting System Environment : HP Unix B.11.31 U I look for script to On specific folders list On specific filelist Search for given string For Example : r48_buildlib.txt contains wpr480.0_20161027 wpr480.0_20161114 wpr481.0_20161208 wpr482.0_20161222... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies